Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I need fast info

Old 10-21-2005, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I need fast info

sorry guys. What load do you suggest for small deer and hog? All I really need is an Ideal bullet, powder, and how much powder to use. I want to use aclean powder. That way I dont need to worry so much about cleaning it. I still will butwont need to be so anal about it.How about percussion caps to?Thanks alot guys. You are all a really big help. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I need fast info

sorry guys. What load do you suggest for small deer and hog?
The same load I would suggest for large deer and hogs. As to what that load is, only your rifle can really tell you that. We can suggest different projectiles all day to you but until you get out and shoot them you will never know what is most accurate out of the rifle. All rifles are different then the next in the line.

All I really need is an Ideal bullet, powder, and how much powder to use.
It would be helpful to know what model of Traditional .54 caliber rifle you are shooting. If this is a 1-48 twist then I would suggest shooting a Hornady roundball for starters. A .530 diameter with a .015-.018 thickness patch.Since you are new to this buy the pre lubed patches. If you were more into this, I would tell you to make your own patches and lube.

The roundball placed in the right spot is deadly. An example.. a person shooting a .54 caliber Renegade shot a moose with a roundball and 90 grains of Pyrodex I believe it was at over 160 yards (if memory serves me) and killed it. Was he lucky? Probably. But that does show the killing power of a roundball. I shot a deer at 80 yards with a roundball, shooting all the way through him and killing a second deer standing behind the first deer. You think that would kill a hog?

If you keep your shots at 100 yards and under, a roundball is all you will need to kill a deer or hog. Without knowing your rifle, it would be hard to judge what else might shoot good out of it. You could try some of the maxiball, great plains conicals, buffalo conicals. buffalo ball-ets, but only your rifle and powder charge will determine the best load for you. You might also want to get a package of bore buttons or sub bases..

I want to use aclean powder. That way I dont need to worry so much about cleaning it.
The you might want to look into some American Pioneer Powder, Pinnacle 3f powder, Triple Se7en FFgor Black Mag3. They will be the cleanest burning powders. You still have to worry about cleaning the rifle.

Actually, shooting a traditional rifle and a roundball they will shoot fowled also. I have shot over 20 rounds before I cleaned the barrel when shooting roundball.

How about percussion caps to?
If you can find them Dynamite Nobel 1075 (german made) are excellent caps. So are the #11 CCI Magnum caps. Lots of people have good luck with Remington. I personally do not.