Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Great Barrel Deal

Old 10-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Great Barrel Deal

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/

For all you Thompson Center Hawkins & Renegade owners.. you might find this interesting. Green Mountain Barrel Company is running a special on IBO drop in barrels in both the 15/16th and the 1" size. They are 1-28 fast twist 28" long .50 caliber.. Stainless Steel barrels. Granted they will not look very traditional on your smokepole but if you're like me, who really cares. I am out to have fun.

They do not have them in flintlock.. only cap lock. What a shame. It would have been fun to get one in flintlock as well. Anyway for $125.00 each I think it was or two for $199.00 (actually with shipping it comes to $211.89 for two of them how would I know that?) that is a heck of a deal. They are not pre drilled for a scope but any good gun smith could make one for the scope and one without!! (get the picture)

They are a first come first serve. Just thought some of you might like to know. It is fun to go to the range and load sabots and then watch all the old timers shake their heads.....then blow the center out of the bulls eye.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Great Barrel Deal

too bad they dont have them for the flintlock.....that would make for a nice shooting sabot and conical rifle i bet....but that would look plain out funky on my hawken...blackend brass(actually brass screws with blackend brass for this season...the screws were a PAIN to do the first time...so this year i polished all the screws...and all the big parts are black...looks pretty neat....ill have a new pic saturday...maybe with deer!!) but that is a steal....stainless or not....wouldnt matter if they shoot good! good luck let us know how the do!
Old 10-13-2005, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I asked them on the phone how hard it would be to change one over to a flintlock and they said it would take a lot of work, but could be done. I was thinking of getting a flintlock for my Hawkins. Instead I had to settle for the cap lock models...

I am sure they will shoot sabot well since Knight rifle uses the same barrel. If they are like my Knight they will shoot a conical well too. That was the way I was thinking... Anyway, I was due for a few more rifles...
Old 10-14-2005, 06:00 AM

THOMPSON CENTER NEW ENGLANDER RIFLE Item No. 810480 Barrel Assembly, .50 Cal., 27-1/4, Round, Blue Additional Additional Shipping charge: $1.00 Retail Price: $79.50
HERE ANOTHER GREAT DEAL FOR GUYS THAT OWN A NEW ENGLANDER IN 50 CAL. .WWW.EPARTS.COM
Old 10-14-2005, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

you trying to break the bank this month? I never checked that site before.. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with Cayugad, you guys have to stop putting these deals on here. I just bought a .54 T/C Hawken off a used gun rack then I sent for a .50 cal slow twist barrel to fit it. Then I got the hots for a flintlock so I ordered a Lyman .50 Trade Rifle in flintlock. Now I just found a 10 gun safe at Walmart on closeout regular $249 selling for $198 and put that on layaway. All this in the last couple of months. I don't have a lot of spare cash laying around anymore as I am retired and the pay check does not get bigger as prices go up. Gas is killing me. I can hardly wait for the increases when the weather gets cold. I hope someone is able to take advantage of the offers. They sure look good.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

MLKeith, what do you think of that Trade Rifle? Seem pretty well done? Peep sight?

Now I founda deal you just couldn't pass up the other day, but I won't tell ya about it.....
Old 10-14-2005, 07:24 PM
Dominant Buck

I really like my .54 caliber Trade Rifle Flintlock by Lymans. I do not have a peep sight. Actually I have peeps on a few other rifles and they are not my favorite sighting device. I really like the fiber optics.

I ordered two of them barrels. I figure I will scope one and leave the other open sights. A couple more rifles will never be noticed around here anyway.

But that does it.. I am through buying black powder supplies and rifles for a while. I gave my word on that..
Old 10-14-2005, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

to who? whom? Why? She bought it??
Old 10-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

Nice try Cayugad; I almost believed it!! I did order the lyman 57 peep and the hooded front sight for the Trade Rifle as I am 67 and the iron sights are a little fuzzy for me now. I do have a stick on the glasses device that helps but it is a sort of PITA to use so the peep is better. I do find that the one they recommend comes a little low on the stock for me and I think I am going to have to get a taller front and shim up the peep. Maybe won't be too bad but looks a little low. The same sight on my T/C Hawken was installed by someone else and it is low for me also. I have to really hug the stock to line up. Have not had a chance to shoot the Trade Rifle yet and will be out of town for a couple of weeks so it will have to wait until then. I will try to post about shooting when the weather cools enough and I get back into the valley. I will likely go with regular Goex ffg and fffg in the pan since I have a fair amount of that on the shelf. Save the synthetics for the inlines.

Quick Reply: Great Barrel Deal

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.