Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Anyone ever use these conicals ? >

Anyone ever use these conicals ?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone ever use these conicals ?

Old 10-19-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Anyone ever use these conicals ?

Hey guys - I stumbled onto a site (that was recommended on another ML site) that carries inexpensive conicals...we're talking $12 or $13 for 50! You have to spend $30 for free shipping, but that doesn't sound to bad to me. Cheaper than anything I've seen in awhile...Midsouth, Cabelas, or Wallies World.

Anyway, not wanting to be penny wise and pound foolish, check out the site and let me know your thoughts as I'm thinking of placing an order. Is this a deal or are you getting cheap conicals that can't hit that broad side of a barn???

Thanks in advance for your input.

http://blackjackhill.com/zencart/ind...&cPath=1_7
Old 10-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Anyone ever use these conicals ?

Not sure if I am reading the index right, but it looks like those bullets are for carbines? If so, they may be too hard to start down the barrel of a muzzleloader. Price looks good . . . .
Old 10-19-2005, 09:23 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.blackjackhill.com/

I've been buying projectiles from Bill & Judy Davis for a couple years. This is a full time business for them now. Last time I talked to Bill he is a little back logs from the number of orders but is getting them out. I have a couple hundred maxiball coming any day now..

They do nice work. The projectiles are very well made, out of pure lead. Send them an e-mail or call them on the phone. They are real nice people to work with.

Tell them hi for Cayugad!!
Old 10-19-2005, 10:03 AM

Cayugad - Your endorsement is all I needed to hear. Now, Bill & Judy will be hearing from me...and though my wallet will be alittle lighter, my ML shootin' accessory bag will be a lot heavier

Gonna order some Maxi balls, R.E.A.L.s, and some Minies. Basically, every .50 cal conical they offer. By the way Cayugad, if I drop your name, will they give me a quantity discount? Just kidding; prices are awesome as is.

By the way, what exactly is a Minie? I read something or other on another ML site catering to traditional shooters about the Minie, but I can't remember what they were saying about this projectile. Can I use a Minie out of my TC Firehawk or Encore?

Old 10-19-2005, 10:12 AM
Dominant Buck

The minnies you might not get any accuracy out of. I make my own minnies from the same mold Bill uses. The accuracy is not to my hunting standards and definately not to target standard. But they are a blast to shoot just because of the size. Especially if you like shooting water bottles.

They shoot out of inlines also traditionals,but they are a VERY SLIP FIT conical... Put it this way, if you load your rifle and change your mind, you can shake them back out the end of thebarrel. For that reason alone I do not trust them. I do not want them coming off the powder charge and possibly instead of being a projectile, becoming a barrel obstruction. Now they do shoot well out of some model rifles mind you ... just none that I own.

If you asked me if I would recommend the Minnie I would tell you save your money and get more maxiball. They will give you better accuracy and are just as easy to load and shoot.