Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Saber Tooth Bullets? >

Saber Tooth Bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Saber Tooth Bullets?

Old 07-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Saber Tooth Bullets?

Last February, I had a chance to finally try some of the 250 grain SaberTooth conicals. I shot them in the Wolverine LK-II and the T/C Black Diamond XR. I used 100 grains of Goex 3f with the load. I was only able to shoot them at 30 yards since it was winter time and my range was frozen to the ground there, but.. out of both rifles, they shot excellent. Looking at my notes, they loaded excellent and swabbing was not necessary. I used 209 primers in the Diamond and #11 caps in the Wolverine. The notation in my notebook says, "very impressive load."

They are nothing more then a conical with a small sabot base. The sabot expands when ignition comes and the design of the nose might be real good for deer, but I wonder what would happen on a thicker skinned animal.