Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 .50 cal. 270gr. Saber tooth belted bullets >

.50 cal. 270gr. Saber tooth belted bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.50 cal. 270gr. Saber tooth belted bullets

Old 02-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default .50 cal. 270gr. Saber tooth belted bullets

I might buy a pack of 270 gr.and be using it in my CVA kodiak .50 cal. CVA recommends powerbelt ammos for thier guns and the saber tooth look pretty similar to them. I hope they stay together more than the powerbelts. With all thebad newsabout the powerbelts, I really don't want to used them for hunting. I'm also gonna try some Hornady's SST 250gr. too. I'm might be using 777 or pyrodexpellets to push them. I'll just start with these2 ammos first and see how they group,since this is my first muzzy gun.Anybody use these bullets before? What are a good load for them, out to about 100yds? Anybody haveother recommendation of other bullets that good for this gun?
Old 02-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: .50 cal. 270gr. Saber tooth belted bullets

I shot some 250 grain Saber Tooth Conicals and they worked real well with 100 grains of Goex 2f. I have heard on a different board they work perfect for deer, making nice large holes. I shoot them in my Wolverine and my Black Diamond Xr but did not have very good luck with them in my CVA Staghorn Magnum.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: .50 cal. 270gr. Saber tooth belted bullets

I have a CVA/BPI Beartooth, and have found that the 270 gr Sabertooths fit quite loosely in a clean bore. The bullet itself engages the rifling just enough so I can't push them completely into the muzzle with my thumbs (I'm a weakling with low threshold of pain) . But after pushing them completely into the bore with the rod, they slide the rest of the way extremely easily - almost to make me wonder if they'll stay put on the charge. After pushing them completely through the barrel, the rifling leaves a clear, but slight mark on the copper jacket.
The weather's been too cold to shoot them yet, but that's what info I have so far.

jaybe