Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

weather and BP

Old 09-18-2005, 12:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default weather and BP

i need to sight my flinter in for the upcoming doe season in the middle end of october.....and im at college....so my time to shoot is limited....but every time i come home its humid....or really hot..80-90 degrees......octobers highs are 50-70....usually 60s high...30-50 degree lows...how much diffrent will my gun act if i sighted it in soon when i make it home for a weekend?? say its 70 and sunny??? i shoot goex BP if that makes a diffrence...i just know i read that BP acts diffrent in diffrent temps...and dont want my shots to be off......im about 15mins from my all time favorite deer honey hole that i hunted ALOT in the passed...and the police station should allow me to store my guns there while im at school......speaking of that...how can i clean a flinter if its stored at the police station?? i was thinking filling a few milk jugs with water and a small bucket...keeping it in the truck....and after hunting clean it in the parking lot of the state game lands...i can take it apart and clean it all with alcohol right there in my truck...and clean the bore in the bucket....refill the jugs and put them back in the truck........thats what i came up with so far...anyone else got opinions on what to do with that??? thanx alot........kinda nice to goto college and be 15 mins from my all time honey hole for deer......and turkey..and grouse.......and squirrel........dang....i might be carryin my books with me......too much good huntin to pass up lol......just gota figure out how to make it all work.........thanx....
Old 09-18-2005, 05:19 AM

Default RE: weather and BP

FWIW, I live in NC andhave similar weather conditions during that time of year...I shoot year round and all my sight ins have been in the summer, hunt in the fall/winter...IMO, POI effects areeither inconsequential or don't happen at all in those minor differences in weather conditions.
I always get up early and am at the range shooting right at first light, which in the summer time here is usuallyaround 70*...then when I'm deer hunting in November, temps at first light range from the teens to the 40's...never had any indication there was a POI shift.

Sounds like the "jugs of water" approach would work...don't know if you use a hooked breech rifle or not...if so, a bucket might be helpful too...really, really need to get the bore& breechbone dry before plastering it with lube...maybe evenput thebreech end of the barrel on the floor with the heater blowing directly on it after cleaning to heat up the metal some...good luck with your season.
Old 09-18-2005, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

The water jug cleaning of your Thompson Center Hawkins should work just fine. Perhaps a few solvent patches to make sure you got it all out, and are nice a clean of all fowling. Then I'd run some isopropyl alcohol patches down the bore to displace any moisture in there, finally some dry patches to me positive that the bore is nice and clean. After that some quality gun oil like Birchwood Casey Sheath should protect the rifle.

Go ahead and sight it in. It should be real close to your POI when you go hunting. I shoot mine all summer in the heat and humidity and have not seen too much of a difference when hunting. Like you said, at least you're close to your hunting so that is a good thing. Study hard and hunt hard and it will all work out. Time passes fast when you keep busy... Good luck this hunting season.
Old 09-18-2005, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...ill get it sighted in next time im home i hope.....less then a month and ill be makin smoke i hope!!! cant WAIT...im 15 mins or so from my all time favorite deer spot.....dad gave me the go ahead...knows i love to hunt and fish...he cant stop me lol......and it helps me get by....if i didnt hunt and fish god only knows what i WOULD be doing to get by.......i dont wanna know....i went fishing here at one of the campus ponds for bass...(sure im one of the FEW to ever fish there lol) yes i caught a few nice bass....alot of monsters in there...got the bass gear in the truck waitin now! lol) and man did i feel alot better after fishing for an hour......just relieved me.....hunting does the same for me......and why couldnt i catch up on some of my reading while sittin there waitin for a deer?? the cleaning methods you guys said are all in my normal cleaning.....think that will probably be my best bet.......i have no rust problems now.....and im sure i could ride 15-20 mins from my hunting spot with the barrel on the heater.......i cant wait.......im going to head to the police station tomarow and talk to them about it.......i hope they let me check them in.....i dont see why not......i heard they do....and heard other campuses do from people that actually did it.....so it shouldnt be a problem......dad said go ahead.......take it to a butcher up here somewhere and he will pick it up when its done.........cant wait thanx guys
Old 09-20-2005, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never noticed much, actually, any difference when I've shot mine in the summer vs. winter. Given the summers here are 90 and winter a little below freezing, not quite the extremes some of you deal with.