Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Is there a beginners guide available >

Is there a beginners guide available

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Is there a beginners guide available

Old 09-07-2005, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default Is there a beginners guide available

Just bought 2 new in-line's (one for me, one for my father).

Does anyone know of a good beginners guide. When I mean beginners guide - I mean all the basics from loading to cleaning, what additional equipment I will need to purchase, etc.

I have never owned one. I have fired them at the range, but never handled loading, etc.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Is there a beginners guide available

Some muzzleloaders come with a video which explains the rifle to you. Others just supply a manual. I suggest reading the manual until you are fully aware of its contents. I just got my new Knight Disc .50 caliber today and it came with a video that explains how to load, clean, shoot, etc.

I am sure there must be videos for sale out there. The best thing is if you can get to a range where there are other muzzleloaders you can ask them questions. Otherwise you can ask away here and get some good information.

If yougive us a caliber, make, model and options of your rifle we might be able to help you with a lot of the information you're looking for.

Here is a list of some of the things you might find that you need. I am sure it is not complete but might get you started...

Black powder rifle supplies

DECIDE ON THE KIND OF POWDER[/b]

Pyrodex
Triple Se7en
Goex
Black Mag3
American Pioneer Powder
- loose or pellet[/ul]

[/b]
TOOLS NEEDED[/b]
[/b]

See through powder measure
Cleaning jag
Cleaning mop
Patch worm
Bore brush
Short starter
Capper/de-capper
Loading jag for the projectile
Nipple pick
Breech plug removal tool – socket set with long extensions works also[/ul]

CLEANING SUPPLIES[/b]

Isopropyl alcohol 91%
Car windshield washer fluid
Bore butter or lube for conical bullets
Gun Oil – Birchwood Casey Sheath, REM OIL, Breakfree CLP
Q-tip safety swabs
Cleaning Patches
Bore Solvents[/ul]

Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber
Butch’s Bore Shine
M.A.P. – Murphy’s oil soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide[/ol]

PROJECTILES[/b]
[/b]

Sabots for the caliber of rifle
Bullets to match sabots according to the diameter of the bullet
Conicals
Roundball and patch
Breech plug grease – CVA Slick Breech Plug and Nipple Grease[/ul]

Old 09-07-2005, 04:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Tom, I think Cayugad covered it very good!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:57 PM

and when your done buyin' all that...

...don't forget to get the wife something nice just to let her know she isn't forgotten. MLs can be pretty addictive, welcome to the club.

~Robert
Old 09-07-2005, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might also find http://modernmuzzleloader.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=34&sid=dfba711ee5cb7728545f985 75b5130efinteresting. You might have to join that forum to read it, but there are worse things that could happen.

Cayugad always gives very solid advice and covered it all pretty well, but you might pick up a trick or two over there in short order.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Tom_L

Just bought 2 new in-line's (one for me, one for my father).

Does anyone know of a good beginners guide. When I mean beginners guide - I mean all the basics from loading to cleaning, what additional equipment I will need to purchase, etc.

I have never owned one. I have fired them at the range, but never handled loading, etc.
YES! The National Muzzleloading Rifle Association,
http://www.nmlra.org , prints one, and they'll send it to you free whenyou join the Association - their monthly magazine, MUZZLE BLASTS, is worth the cost of membership, just for the pictures of the custom ML's in it!!

Just as every gun owner should be a member of the NRA, every ML shooter should join the NMLRA!!
Old 09-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Fork Horn

This might ramble a bit so please bear with me. A zillion years ago I built a renegade, the whole bit, finished fitting, browned the barrel finished it, went to shoot it and didn't have a clue. Tried to use t-shirt for patches etc.Dang what a hassle and traded it for a tool box for my truck.I';ve learned some since then and todayI spent 1/2 the time at the range helping out a guy that "never owned one, and only have shot one a couple of times". Was glad to do it, passed on some pointers and he was shooting pretty good when I left. If you can find someone that will take time to talk to you it will really help, and this place from what I've seen will answer a lot of your questions. BEWARE shooting smoke poles is ADDITIVE and should be approached with caution, yep cleaning them up is a slight hassle, but worth it.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:21 PM

The guys gave good tips. However, I have found that it was alot easier to learn if you have a friend that muzzleloads as they usually will teach you everything from cleaning to loading to firing the gun. When I first got mine, I read the manual and sort of got it, but once my friend showed me, it all was clear.