Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cayugad's Home Brew >

Cayugad's Home Brew

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cayugad's Home Brew

Old 09-06-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Cayugad's Home Brew

Cayugad did I read a post where your home made cleaning solution is 50% Windex and 50% Iso alcohol?

Thanks,
~Robert
Old 09-06-2005, 02:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cayugad's Home Brew

I make a solution of 50/50 winshield washer fluid summer blend and 91% isopropyl alcohol. I use it for swabbing at the range because it pulls fowling excellent and drys out of the barrel fast. I also use it when it comes time to clean the rifle. I use the homemade solution to basically clean the rifle to a point where there is no fowling left in it or on it. Then I use a good solvent like Butch's Bore Shine, Birchwood Casey Bore Scrubber, or Rusty Duck Black Off to make sure the job is really done well.

I use this homemade solvenet because it is so inexpensive to make and I see no reason using a solvent that cost $6.00 a pint for a job that a homemade cleaner I make for about $1.00 a pint (if that) will do the same thing.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:28 PM

I've never heard of a summer blend windshield washer fluid.

I'm looking for an inexpensive solution, going to give your mix a try.

~Robert
Old 09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Dominant Buck

In my neck of the woods we have summer and winter blend windshield washer fluid because of the extreme temperatures that they encounter. Right on the label on the Wal Mart brand windshield washer fluid it will tell us whether it is winter or summer blend. It used to be color coded where the summer was blue and the winter was an off shade or red but that is no longer the case. You have to check the labels. There are chemicals in the winter blend that I was told you do not want in your rifle barrels... I forget the reason why. But since the summer blend works so well, why worry.

You could always use cheap glass cleaner if you like and mix that with the alcohol.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:42 PM

At Target all they had was the blue stuff, so I'll give that a try.

I'll be at the range this Thursday. I'm looking forward to trying out "Cayugads Special Blend."

~Robert