Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Home Brew

Old 08-31-2004, 01:31 PM

Default Home Brew

Does anyone have a formula for making a scent killler to put in a spray bottle. With all the talk about baking soda, I was wondering if you could mix X amount to some water and use that for cheap. The stuff at the store is getting pretty pricey for guys that hunt 4 months out of the year. I am not looking for any cover scent. Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 02:31 PM

Default RE: Home Brew

I often scrub down my rubberboots with a mixture of warm water and baking soda. I've never tried it on my camo though.
Old 08-31-2004, 02:31 PM

Ingredients for Scent Killer:

16 oz. (2 cups) Peroxide

16 oz. (2 cups) Distilled Water

ΒΌ cup baking soda

1 oz. On non-scented shampoo

Let sit for several days (milk jug works good with lid loose) This recipe is also good for removing blood from your hands in the field after dressing your critter! No dried blood, presents a better image!

Here an idea for some scent free 'baby wipes'...

mix up a batch of scent killer as per instructions above...

take a roll of heavy duty paper towels (Bounty, Scott, etc..not the 49 cent cheapies)

cut the roll in half with an electric knife so you have 2 short rolls of paper towels(don't try a regular knife... it doesn't work). Pull the cardboard tube from the middle of the half roll

Find a rubbermaid or tupperware container big enough to hold the 1/2 roll of paper towels (and with a good sealed lid).

Put one of the 1/2 rolls of paper in the container, pour in the scent killer, let the wipes soak up the scent killer, keep covered tight so they don't dry out. Because the inner cardboard tube is out, pull the paper towels out the from the middle like a kleenex!
I put a certain amount of wipes in a zip lock bag and take them with me all the time.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:49 AM

Thanks jerry I am going to mix up a batch.
Old 09-01-2004, 01:28 PM

Just curious? What function does the peroxide serve? I just want to understand it if I'm gonna make it. This tip is some great advice! Really save some $ which makes me
Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 PM

Let me get this right... you can mix that up....put it in a spray bottle.... spray it all over.... and then it takes the sent off your clothing?
It sounds great but I just want to confirm.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:25 PM
Fork Horn

worked great for me last year...never busted once. I did use fall scented soap though.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Typical Buck

Another vote for this formula. I got a second shot (and hit) at a deer last year due to going undetected when he tried to wind whatever that wierd blob in the tree was that just made all that commotion.

I use the green Hunters Specialty liquid soap as a matter of preference. I can shower in it and use it in this recipe.

Fritz
Old 09-01-2004, 04:14 PM

Read this article to make sure you use the right hydrogen peroxide

This next part is very important: Do not use ordinary hydrogen peroxide that comes in little brown colored plastic bottles. The stuff at the supermarket has stabilizers in it and contains a slight odor. Pure hydrogen peroxide is odorless. I purchase pure hydrogen peroxide from a local swimming pool supply store. Baquacil brand Shock and Oxidizer is the product I use. It comes in a one-gallon size blue colored plastic container. It is pure 27-percent hydrogen peroxide (no additives or stabilizers). You will have to dilute it with distilled water, down to 3 percent strength in order to use it in your home brew recipe.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I used the normal off the shelf hydrogen peroxide from the local drug store...as I said earlier, it worked great for me. It may work even better with the other stuff phantombuck, but I had good luck. It's my understanding that the hydrogen peroxide works its way out anyway which is the reason to leave the lid loose for a few days. I guess its needed to kick off some chemical reaction but then its gone. leave the lid loose for several days....last year I closed mine up after a day and the pressure built up and the stuff came oozing out while it was in the garage and went all over the place!

Quick Reply: Home Brew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.