Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Will powder shoot any more different than pyrodex pellets? >

Will powder shoot any more different than pyrodex pellets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will powder shoot any more different than pyrodex pellets?

Old 08-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default Will powder shoot any more different than pyrodex pellets?

Just wondering because I bout a 209 conversion and I am going to sight my gun in and i have plenty of powder laying around. I want to get some good practice in. The pellets are just so expensive. I just plan on shooting 100 grain pellets while hunting. So can I sight it in with powder?
Thanks
Old 08-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Will powder shoot any more different than pyrodex pellets?

I find that loose powder does shoot differently than pellets. I would suggest working your load with loose powder. But don't expect the pellet to match your best load combination with loose. Does happen, but not always.

I would sight in with all of the various loads that you plan on hunting with. If pellets go a hunting, then I would sight with them.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I am sure they might be close but loose and pellets should shoot different. For instance if they were Triple Se7en pellets then 85 grains of loose powder would be the load you would want if you were shooting loose Triple Se7en. They claim the pellets of Pyrodex and loose are equal but according to a friend of mine who recently changed from pellets to loose, that is not the case. He claimed there was more power in the pellets then the 100 grains of loose.

Powder can also be a little different can to can.. pound to pound.. batch to batch. I have seen old powder shoot one way and new powder just a little different. My suggestion is shoot off the pellets now in practice then change over to loose powder for good.... Make up some speed loaders out of plastic film containers and putting pre measured charges in them and carry them that way. You will not need pellets...
Old 08-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Tahquamenon.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:51 PM

Depends on the powder. If you use tripple seven the powder will have much more velocity for the same charge. Two 50 grn pellets is not the same as 100 grn loose in 777. Now with clean shot I didn't notice a difference between the two.

Paul
Old 08-17-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

cayugad,

Ref the T7 pellets, are you saying they are loaded light to 85 gr? Just curious.

Thanks,

HA
Old 08-17-2005, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

No ... when used in pellet form, Triple Se7en and Pyrodex as well as American Pioneer Sticks are supposed to be equal (or very close to it)in strength. There by two fifty grain pellets of thesepowderswould equal 100 loose grains of Pyrodex or American Pioneer Powder. The difference is in the Triple Se7en. Triple Se7en in loose formis 15% stronger then Pyrodex or American Pioneer Powder. The way they make the pellets equal is to reduce the weight of the Triple Se7en pellets so the power of the pellets are equal. In loose form, when using loose Triple Se7en FFg,if you want to get the same power as two pellets of Pyrodex or Triple Se7en all you need is 85 grains of the loose Triple Se7en.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

Will loose shoot different? Heck ya!! In my opinion in most rifles it shoots better. You can tune the load to your rifle better as well.
Old 08-18-2005, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks cayugad.