Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tool for Removing Black Diamond Breech Plug >

Tool for Removing Black Diamond Breech Plug

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tool for Removing Black Diamond Breech Plug

Old 08-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Fork Horn

Default Tool for Removing Black Diamond Breech Plug

I'm wondering if there is a better tool for removing the breech plug on a T/C Black Diamond, something other than the tool that comes with the gun. I tried a 7/16" socket with an extension on a ratchet, but the extension was too big to fit through the receiver. Just seems like there ought to be a better way. (and I think I read a post somewhere about this same thing, but can't find it now)
Old 08-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tool for Removing Black Diamond Breech Plug

Go to Thompson Center Arms and do a search for a Black Diamond Deluxe Breech Plug Wrench (or google it and it will take you there also.). This is what it looks like. You pull the stiker and this goes in from the back of the breech and will take the 209 primer nipple out and the breech plug also.

You have to find a real thin extension if you want it to fit through the breech. I got mine in a bargin tool bin for $2.99 (for a 12" a 9" and a 6" extension)at the local hardware store. It slips right through with the small long nose socket and you can do all the same things as this fancy wrench..
Old 08-05-2005, 03:17 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks....

I'll look around and see what I can find for extensions. You got a heck of a good deal on yours! If I can't find anything small enough I guess I'll get the T/C tool. Life's too short to have to deal with inferior tools!
Old 08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Our local hardware/lumber yard has a bin where they pile all kinds of tools, hammers, screwdrivers, about anything. They range in price from $2.99 to $4.99 I think it is. They are not very good quality. Something you would not want to depend on too much, but for what I use it for it is perfect.

The T/C deluxe breech plug works fine although if you have a scope it can be a little tricky sometimes getting the pin lined up. Actually once you get the hang of it ... its fine.