Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Wonder Wads?

Old 08-05-2005, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Wonder Wads?

I heard the Ox Yoke company went out of business,does anyone know if there is another company making these.The bullets I make shoot great with them.HELP!!!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Wonder Wads?

I have some that came from TC. But I don't know who actually MADE them! I sure hope they're still available!!
Old 08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ya i know my nearest dicks sporting goods has them packadged by TC....saw them the other day and was mad because i was testing bullets last year and needed them and couldnt find them!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:51 AM
Dominant Buck

http://www.rmcsports.com/catalog.htm

RMC Sport make an excellent quality felt wad. I used to buy them all the time before I started making my own... Just do a search for wonder wad . Two words mind you and it will take you right to them. I think they are lubed with bore butter.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: FlDeerman

I heard the Ox Yoke company went out of business,does anyone know if there is another company making these.The bullets I make shoot great with them.HELP!!!
Yes, they're made by OxYoke.....marketed under their own name, as well as otherlabels likeTC, Remington, etc...several ML suppliers carried them, probably still have inventory...also, you see them fairlyoften on auctions
Old 08-05-2005, 07:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad how do you make your own??I'd love to do that.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=3838 Go to this site and get a set of HOLLOW HOLE PUNCHES. Or check some of your local hardware stores and you can find them there also. We have a store that has every kind of cheap made tool you could want. I bought a set at Harbor Freight and later another set at that store because I collect junk...

The 1/2 inch will make your .50 caliber wads and the 9/16th will make a .54 caliber. Then go to the local hardware/lumber yard and get as thick a 100% wool insulation felt as you can find for weatherizing doors and windows. Some of the felt comes in 1/2 inch and some, all the way up to 1 1/2 inch wide. Steal the white plastic cutting board out of the kitchen (and later deny the tiny round circle dents all over it that will be there after your done, when your questioned) and with a hammer, knock out as many as you like.

Then take some bore butter or I use a homemade lube and melt it in the microwave in something that will really get you in trouble when your discovered (just kidding.. use some junk bowl). Once the lube is liquid, stir the lube good and then add the bore buttons. Once they are saturated with lube, remove them and dry them on wax paper... Once the lube sets up again, peel them off the wax paper and just store them in some old plastic medicine pill bottles like an aspirin bottle.... When you need one you have plenty... you can even put two down the bore if you like....
Old 08-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks have the site bookmarked,sounds fun and easy.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:14 AM
Fork Horn

You might check out http://buffaloarms.com/ . They too have everything you need.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

When you have a headache be careful as the wool felt things are hard to swallow.