Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

black knight

Old 07-25-2005, 07:58 PM

Default black knight

I got a black knight from my dad when i was younger but really never shot it to much. I would like to take a deer with it this year so i am looking for some ideas on what powders and bullets and weights to try to find what my gun likes. I know this gun is older and not like the newer ones but what kind of range would this gun have. thanks
Old 07-25-2005, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: black knight

I am not familiar with the rifle. Is this made by Knight Rifle Company? What kind of ignition? What caliber? What barrel length? What barrel twist? Any Optics on the rifle? All of this would help to perhaps suggest a good load for the rifle. The load of the rifle would help determine the effective range.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:27 PM

It is made my Knight. Its a BK-92 its a 50 cal with a1 in 28 twist i belive with a 24inch barrel. I did get the conversion kit for the 209 primer. Currently it has a tasco scope on it but i am thinking about putting my 3x9 Zeiss on it if i can get a good load working for it.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Almost any Knight rifle can be made to shoot well. With the rifle you have.. and this is only a guess mind you.. leave the scope on for the time being. Go out and get some 240 grain T/C Mag Express XTP's and shoot them with about 100 grains of Pyrodex RS or 90 grains of Triple Se7en. Your rifle being an older model is not a magnum rifle but that 100 grains shold well be in the confines of the rifles ability. Most Knight rifles were made far stronger then the others out there on the market.

Knight rifles usually say, any Knight sabot will shoot well out of their rifles. I also found that Barnes shot well out of my Knight. In fact the best shooting projectile out of my Wolverine is a 250 grain Barnes Expander. I also want to get my hands on some 300 grain Barnes Expanders and try them The problem with Barnes is their cost. They are a great bullet but too expensive for my taste to be throwing them down range for fun.

You might also if they have some, get something in the 300 grain range. Some of the Knights like a heavier projectile. They do make an XTP in that weight range made by Hornady. I am sure that it will be a good shooting rifle. You might also want to try some different conicals such as the maxi ball or great plains conicals but I really think you will have good luck with the sabots.

Keep us posted on how well the rifle shoots.