Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Cleaning Question... >

Cleaning Question...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning Question...

Old 07-18-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Cleaning Question...

Went to the range for the first time with my muzzleloader yesterday. Had a blast! Best time I've had at the range in a long time!Later in the day Istarted to clean my Revolution and the only realproblem area I had was removing the carbon found just above the breechplug area. Worked on it for a while, but only got it some what clean. Any recommendation? Do I need to procure some sort of dental tools to scrape this stuff off? Used solvent, hot water...What are someother options?

Thanks in advance...
Old 07-19-2005, 12:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cleaning Question...

Did you try a good solvent like Rusty Duck or Butch's Bore Shine and a toothbrush. That is what I use to clean the hard to get places. I have never examined a Revolution that close. Sorry I could not be of more help. How did the rifle shoot? Was it as good as you thought it would be? What kind of load were you shooting?

Good luck with your rifle...
Old 07-24-2005, 01:43 PM

HOT SOAPY WATER.....VERY HOT SOAPY WATER
Old 07-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Actually let the area soak in solvent this time while I cleaned other areas of the ML. Seemed to work, got most of it out, but am always willing to try other alternatives. This is without a doubt the toughest place for me to clean. Toothbrush, finger just can't get in there right to work the area. I wind up using a small screw driver covered with a folded up rag. Not sure that is the right thing to do, but it worked yesterday.

Thanks for the feedback...
Old 07-25-2005, 06:45 AM
Typical Buck

Let it soak for a while then a regular bore brush should get it out. It sounds like you did not clean enough between shots and got the dreaded crud ring.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:04 PM

So that is where the crud ring is! I thought it was actually in the barrel close to the breech plug. Constantly learning...