Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 ram rod extending past muzzle? >

ram rod extending past muzzle?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ram rod extending past muzzle?

Old 07-14-2005, 10:15 PM

Default ram rod extending past muzzle?

How far can the ram rod with the jag extend past the muzzle without causing any problems like grabbing the sabot or something? Reason I'm asking is cuz the ram rod that came with my Optima has a screw out jag that extends another 2 or so inches that allows me to push it down far enough to seat the bullet. Problem is, the brass jag piece broke off the plastic ram rod and I can't find another ram rod that extends so I would have to buy a long rod and cut it down to length long enough to seat the bullet but it would stick past the muzzle. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Supermag
Old 07-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ram rod extending past muzzle?

The do sell ramrods for that rifle. Get a good quality one and you will not regret it. As for how far can they stick over the end of the muzzle, well as long as they are not in the way of the muzzle to cause obstructing a projectile being fired there should not be a problem other then the fact they will get really fowled when you shoot.

I have a couple rifles that the end sticks over. Also I have one ramrod that has the T/C fold up T-handle attachment which sticks almost three inches past the end of the muzzle. I have shot the rifle. Personally I would get the ramrod unbreakable kind that fits the rifle you have and then get a range rod extra long. I use a 32" T/C rugged Rod for all the range work and cleaning of muzzleloaders. That extra length sure comes in handly. Then I just use the ramrod that the rifle has for hunting with. The next range rod I get though will have female ends on both ends so I can out the T-handle on the one end, then the bore guide and loading/cleaning jag on the other end....
Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 AM

Cayugad, where did you find a ram rod that extends? I just looked on the CVA website and the only rods they had were not extendable. I do have another range rod that is alot longer than the regular one, sticks about 8 to 10 inches out when I put it in the holder which is what I had to use for the last 2 deer I took last year, I used it to load the bullet but took it out of the holder when I took the shot. I'll try seeing if it shoots the same with the range rod in at full lengh and see if it shoots any differently.
Thanks
SuperMag
Old 07-15-2005, 08:11 PM
XTP

.......supermagnum....the ramrod cayugad is referring to doesn't extend , it has a folding " T " handle on the end.When folded for carry...it is in line with the rest of the rod.Swivel it around and it gives you a better grip for loading and cleaning.
Old 07-15-2005, 08:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SuperMagnum

Cayugad, where did you find a ram rod that extends? I just looked on the CVA website and the only rods they had were not extendable. I do have another range rod that is alot longer than the regular one, sticks about 8 to 10 inches out when I put it in the holder which is what I had to use for the last 2 deer I took last year, I used it to load the bullet but took it out of the holder when I took the shot. I'll try seeing if it shoots the same with the range rod in at full lengh and see if it shoots any differently.
Thanks
SuperMag

http://www.foxridgeoutfitters.com/detail.cfm?section=16&subsection=149,197&p roduct=4855 this is the extender short starter that you can attach to the end of the ramrod also to extend it if you need a little longer rod. The other thing I use is like described. It gives me a T handle but then folds up and swivels out of the way when I carry the ramrod in the rifle. This give you more power on the cleaning jag and for pulling things out of the barrel. Both are kind of handy. The T-handle short start is actually a pretty good short starter. I bought two of them and keep one on the range rod and one as a short starter since the ends on the T are made for different shaped sabots.....