Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 questions-just converted my mk85 to a 209 >

questions-just converted my mk85 to a 209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

questions-just converted my mk85 to a 209

Old 06-21-2005, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Default questions-just converted my mk85 to a 209

ok-i have a few questions. for the record i have a knight disc that i have been using the last 4-5 years. i have a mk85 that i got it 92 or 93. i bought the conversion kit. it came w/ red disc's. i have yet to shoot this.

does it take a wrench or can you put the red dics with your fingers onto the breech plug? which is faster assuming that you can do both. the salesman talkked me into a red wingbone(not sure if its the name)wrench to use. i think its a tc made wrench. a buddy of mine also did this conversion and he does not use a disc. his gun may have been a wolverine. he has a "c" type wrench which he uses. hte salesman said that i can use either(disc or no disc) but i cant see it. the only way it will stay seated is w/ a red disc.

any helpful pointers would be appreciated with this gun. this gun is so much lighter than my disc rifle. i cant wait to use it.

john
Old 06-21-2005, 11:17 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: questions-just converted my mk85 to a 209

I did the same with a LK I have. You need the little tool especially if you got a scope. You can put it in there by hand but can be difficult.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Just curious guys... I have the Wolverine II LK-93 in .50 caliber and it uses the #11 caps. When you were shooting your rifles with the #11 caps, did you ever have an ignition problem? The reason I ask is I hunted last deer season in a snow/sleet mixture that was terrible, but the rifle performed flawless and fired perfect. I was wondering if you everhad problems or some reason that made you decide you needed to change to the hotter ignition....

Knights are sure great rifles...
Old 06-22-2005, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

cayugad, I have the same one as you and converted to Large
rifle primers shortly after I purshased it. I was getting misfires
from the #11caps. It's very humid here in FL., especially in
the swamps. It resolved the problem.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:57 AM
bigcountry

cay, yep, I only got one misfire. And that was on a deer and after me bragging to people on forums that if you get a misfire, you don't know how to clean a ML.

The deal was, I fouled the bore with 15 shots at the range. And didn't take out the nipple and clean. Next day first day of ML, I saw a nice Sika deer and pop, no ignition. Then again another pop, no fire. Then my cheap ole No11 holder flipped out all my caps and I was in a treestand. Sikas generally don't run like a whitetail but stay perfectly still. Well, changed over the next week after shooting for almost 6 years with no problem.

I did lose accuracy with 209's in that gun. My No11's shot sub 2MOA at 100 yards, but the 209's made it shoot 2" at 50 yards.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I did lose accuracy with 209's in that gun. My No11's shot sub 2MOA at 100 yards, but the 209's made it shoot 2" at 50 yards.
That's interesting results. So far this little Wolverine has taken everything for weather that I have thrown at it from snowstorms to rainstorms and went off just fine. The accuracy issue with the 209.. is funny. I found in my Black Diamond XR that when I went to musket caps VS the 209 primers, I actually got better accuracy. The trouble is the musket caps have a tendency to fall off...
Old 06-22-2005, 11:26 AM
bigcountry

Actually, its pretty common for people to loose accuracy with the more powerful 209's. It can actually push your load slightly up before setting it off. Its also not uncommon for me to find a particular primer or cap a load likes to the best. So I am not too surprised.

The cap went off just didn't ignight the powder. I should have took the nipple off and thrown it in the ultrasonic cleaner. But here I am with the 209's. I usually only shoot my disc or my T/C sidelock these days.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:52 AM
Fork Horn

cayguard--yes i had a mis fire the last time i used that gun on a 8 ptr. the cap went off,but no blast of the ignition. i finally had to put a couple of granulars of pyrodex inside the tiny nipple and put a cap over that. it finally went off. i also use those GERMAN made caps that are supposed to be the best out there.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:37 PM
Dominant Buck

The Dynamite Noble RWS 1075 are my favorite cap of all times. CCI magnums are not bad, but I had terrible luck with Remingtons. Out of one tin I bet I had 10 misfires. Last deer season I hunted one day in a rain/snow/sleet (could not make up its mind) day and at the end of the day, having never even changed the cap, the rifle fired perfect. Funny thing is the only rifle that did misfire last season was using a 209 primer.

It's nice to know the conversion is out there and it works great. Maybe someday, after I mess up on a nice buck because of a misfire. Although there would be no need because the rifle would be wrapped around a tree somewhere....