Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

knight mk85

Old 11-01-2005, 09:38 AM

Default knight mk85

guys, i bought used a while ago a stainless mk85. i retrofitted it with a 209 primer kit and never really thought about it till now...when cleaning the thing, i have to drop the stock to access the trigger group, then i have to take the trigger off , then unscrew the bolt assembly so i can finally get to the breech plug. i like the gun and the fact that i can clean the barrle with modern solvents, squirt it with brake cleaner and be done with it....but is it really supposed to be this much of a pain? i got it used so it came with no manual....the manual knight sent was crap and didnt cover this. also does anybody know how much powder these guns are rated for? since it's a mk85 im figuring 100 or 120 but ive been wrong before.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:57 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: knight mk85

120gr pyrodex. I believe that is with a 300gr projectile.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:25 PM
Dominant Buck

They were rated to 120 grains of loose FFg powder since it was before the 209 ignition. The MK-85 was also considered one of the best Knight rifles made. They were know for their accuracy and dependability. Yours being a stainless steel model makes it only that much better. I think you have a great rifle there. Enjoy it.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:49 PM
bigcountry

I have a Knight LK about 7 years old, and can't figure out if I should keep it or what. It shot pretty good considering the cheap stock that came with them. I have an elite (no sights, only scope mounts), and if I ever decide to hunt a state that will allow inlines but no scopes, it would come in handy. Its not been used for 2 years. But a fine gun I must say.

Old 11-01-2005, 12:59 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: flcracker

guys, i bought used a while ago a stainless mk85. i retrofitted it with a 209 primer kit and never really thought about it till now...when cleaning the thing, i have to drop the stock to access the trigger group, then i have to take the trigger off , then unscrew the bolt assembly so i can finally get to the breech plug.
You do have to remove the barrel and unscrew and remove the bolt assembly but you don't have to remove the trigger.Once the bolt assembley is removed, you drop the breech plug wrench in and unscrew the breech plug and remove it. If the wrench or breech plug hang up a bit when you try to insert them or remove them, simply make sure the safety is off and hold in on the trigger.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Fork Horn

Ok here is the scoop. I've got 2 MK85's and wouldn't trade them for nothin (might pass 'em on but aint gonna sell them. If you want to remove the breech plug with out dropping it from the stock you can (don't know why you think it's that much of a pain to remove 2 screws but hey each to their own). Pull the bolt, insert the breech plug tool, unscrew the breech plug, now leaving the tool attached push it out with the ramrod (you really can do it by once it's unscrewed just pushing it back with the tool still on but I'm trying to make this goof proof), you might have to hold the trigger back, but the thing will push out. Now in doing so you are probably gonna drop any junk that is in the barrel or breech area over the open trigger hole, so you want to do this holding the rifle upside down or at least sideways. Hope it helps oh and for what it's worth I think the 209 conversion is something you'll be really pleased with, I know I am
Old 11-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Dominant Buck

A word of warning reference the trigger assembly... when you can, remove the trigger assembly off the rifle. Clean it in hot soapy water (I do this each and every time) by swishing it around in the water and running a brush over it.I spray it down with bore scrubber (next trip to town I will get some brake cleaner)which dries it. After that I take an air compressor and blow it clean. If you do not do this, you will end up with a rifle like my friend brought over to me just before deer season. It was a Wolverine and it would not cock. I took it apart and inspected it. The trigger assembly was full of gunk. So I cleaned the trigger up and low and behold the rifle cocked and fired fine.

This is the one thing that I dislike about the Black Diamond XR. I have looked that rifle over and it has pins that hold the trigger assembly together it looks like. I do not like to mess with pins, so I clean it while attached to the barrel.

It is the small minor things, as most will tell you, that makes a rifle not only work time after time, but shoot accurate time after time.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

i have a mk85 that i bought in 1993. if i remember correctly, the video said not to clean the trigger assembly w/ soap and water--just to spray some oil(lightly) around/on it. i have not shot my mk85 since 2000. i have been using my disc rifle. but this year i added the conversion to the mk85. its also weighs a lot less than the disc rifle. i only shot it 3 times so far. i guess i need to re visit that video.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Fork Horn

ALSO--I NEVER FOUND IT HARD TO to remove the screw for the trigger assembly.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Dominant Buck

This friend of mine, like you, was also under the impression that the trigger assembly did not need to be cleaned. I asked him if he took the trigger off when he cleaned the rifle and he claims he did. He did admit he only oiled it. The crud that was in that trigger was something. Of course like me, he shoots black powder most of the time too. Perhaps that has something to do with it. I personally clean mine.

Quick Reply: knight mk85

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.