Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No Excuses

Old 06-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default No Excuses

Does anyone have a thought on how far a50 cal460 grain No Excuses concical can effective? I just got a box of them and plan on working up some loads this summer (shooting them out of an Omega). On my range I can work out to about 120 yards. If I find a combination I like I plan to use them for deer this fall. Most shots would fall inside 100 yards but I could have an opportunity out to 150. Does anyone have experience with these bullets at 150 yards or beyond? If so, what type of powder and loads were effective? I would appreciate any input.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: No Excuses

These monster bullets need an "umph" powder when used in a fast-twist rifle. Much easiertuning them inwith 777 and Black Mag-3. Pyrodex P and Goex FFF do OK in my opinion.... good accuracy - just a lower target placement. The BM-3 I used was about a third of a jug from a friend. I swapped the remaining powder for a pack of Powerbelts I had.

When I tested them, the ol' 15% energy difference between Pyrodex and 777 was way off. I only needed 65 gr. 777 FFF to do thenear-same target holes90 gr. Pyrodex P did with the No Excuses.

Your tests may not be like mine.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Dominant Buck

I have went through a lot of No Excuse Conicals but I've never really tried then further then100 yards. I am sure those big chunks of lead have plenty of killing power far beyond 100 yards, even 150 yards, if you put that in the right place. I have no idea how much they drop. And Triple Se7en is right on about types of powders. Triple Se7en produced the best groups with No Excuses, followed close with Goex 3f and Pyrodex P. Pinnacle shot terrible groups when I tested that powder. I was real surprised. But Pinnacle shined with the small sabot loads....

Make sure you post your long distance results. They will be interesting. If I get a chance I will try and get out to the hay field and see what they can do out to 150 and even 200 yards. (that is if I don't set the field on fire with all the sparks and flame..)
Old 06-20-2005, 02:29 PM

I have been in the haystack with smoke coming up where a muzzleloader was just discharged. Very unsettling experience. Good thing it wasn't real dry and there was some fresh snow on the north side of the stack to use as a fire suppressant agent. How come we didn't think of that first? [8D]
Old 06-20-2005, 03:04 PM
BS

Guess that I will have to try some 777 with my underhammer and some big slugs and see how they fly!
Old 06-20-2005, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

I've gotten good results with the 460s with 95gr of 2fg 777 out to 75 yds with my Knight USAK. Haven't shot them any further as of yet - but from what I've seen, I don't see a problem with them out to the 100yd mark at least.