HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ready for elk
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Ready for elk

This is a 5 shot group I shot the other day with my .58 caliber Green Mountain Barrel. The load was 100 grains of Goex 2f and a .570 (284 grain) moosemilk patched roundball. I was really having a good day. Then I got too sure of myself and wanted to push the group to 10 shots... Well the group fell apart. At this distance, I make a 8 with the front sight and the circle of the bullseye at the 50 yard line. I find that then when I move back to 100 yards, I use my modified hold and the rifle shoots them right in there rather nice.

I was not swabbing between shots. Also it was hot and humid. And I was really surprised when I did swab at the degree of fowling the barrel had in it. Normally this rifle does not fowl out too bad. It really was not loading all that bad except for the last 2-3 inches where I really had to lean on the loading rod to fully seat the charge. This would be the rifle and load I want to chase a elk, moose, hog, or one of the great bears with.

I should have been happy with the first part of the group...[:@] but I just had to push it... the last two shots were starting to show the degree of fowling. Also the rifle was kicking pretty bad that day. Renegades kick me for some reason. It might be the stock design. But when I shoot a strong load, I do get popped when I shoot it. Not so much in the shoulder, but the cheek. Anyway, I had a good group going into it....