Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 is tirple se7en stronger than pyrodex? >

is tirple se7en stronger than pyrodex?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

is tirple se7en stronger than pyrodex?

Old 06-17-2005, 04:40 PM

Default is tirple se7en stronger than pyrodex?

iv been hearing that triple se7en burns hotter than pyrodex. so that would make it a little bit stronger right? if i would use two .50cal pellets of 50 grain pyrodex and two .50 cal pellets of of 50 grain triple se7en, the triple se7en would be a littl bit more than 100 grains? i want to know this because i havnt made up my mine on what to use?
Old 06-17-2005, 05:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: is tirple se7en stronger than pyrodex?

In pellet form Triple Se7en and Pyrodex are said to be equal. I read somewhere that they reduced the powder amount of Triple Se7en pellets weight so that they would have the same power as those of Pyrodex. In loose form the rule of thumb is Triple Se7en is 15% stronger then Pyrodex. So if your rifle shoots 100 grains of Pyrodex for its best load, you should get near equal results with 85 grains of Triple Se7en.

Triple Se7en does burn hotter. I have noticed in sidelocks that Triple Se7en will often times smoke the patch. To combat this I add a wonderwad between the powder and the patched roundball and that solves the problem...
Old 06-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since Hodgdon owns both Pyrodex and 777, they kept both pellet-types the same strength for safety purposes. One 50-grain 777 pellet creates roughly the same velocity/energy as 42.5 grains of loose 777 FF (on average).
Old 06-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

Triple Seven is also a very quick pressure rise rate type of powder. What that means is that the pressure is formed faster than some other powders. This can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want to accomplish. If you have a short barrel and want to upset a bullet at the start to fill the rifling in the bore Triple Seven is the one to use. The down side of that is that the recoil is sharp and uncomfortable when compared with real black powder or Pyrodex or some of the other ascorbic acid based powders like Clean Shot, Pioneer, Pinnacle or my favorite Black Mag'3. Those powders work real well with longer barrels and heavier bullets and the recoil is very soft with impressive velocities. Personally in my Omega Triple Seven forms a real heavy crud ring which I do not like to deal with so I rarely use it. Black Mag'3 will give me the same or higher velocity than Triple Seven and do it without the sharp recoil and the heavy crud ring.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:29 PM

I don't know if I got a strong batch of pellets or a weak batch of loose powder - but a few years back I did some chronographing and noted that, with the same bullet;two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets producedabout 15% more velocity than 100 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. ??
Old 06-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 06-17-2005, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Quote:
I don't know if I got a strong batch of pellets or a weak batch of loose powder - but a few years back I did some chronographing and noted that, with the same bullet;two 50 grain Pyrodex pellets producedabout 15% more velocity than 100 grains of loose Pyrodex RS. ??
=================================

That is common. Because of the holes in pellets & their sometimes loose fit (depending on barrel diameter), they seem to burnmore efficientlyvs packed loose powder that basically eliminates pressure cutting.