Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 fighting condensation >

fighting condensation

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

fighting condensation

Old 06-17-2005, 06:50 PM

Default fighting condensation

besides the cap firing before u go hunting because u could still get some moisture while your in the woods. (also wear i hunt at i cant fire a cap because ill scare the deer) iv herd of on method wear u leave your gun in the truck/car overnight upside down and take it out when u go hunting. i think that method would be effective. what are your guys methods
Old 06-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fighting condensation

Removing the primer & storing it muzzle-down in a vehicle works well overnite. I did it for years. Now I just fire it every evening... mostly away from where we hunt. I bring it indoors afterwards & remove it from the gun case - let it get close to indoor temperature (couple hours) - then swab witha Windex/alky mix - shoot a 209 primer-only ... then reload without the primer & putthe rifleback in the gun case for the next morning.

After the next day's hunt & late evening shot (2nd shot), I'll nowrepeat this procedure - this time usingKroil to swab. Kroil is half-cleaner & half lubricant. Then I'll dry-swab the Kroil with both sides of a dry patch & not re-load until the morning. The next morning, I'll alky/Windex the bore with one patchto remove the Kroil - firethree 209 primers - then re-load for hunting.

I keep alternatingevery night... one time Windex swab -- the next Kroil. That keeps rust away for weeks using this method. Wipe the rifle barrel exterior every day after shooting -- if you own a ML that leaves exterior powder fouling. My Omega does not leave powder fouling.... just a very light 209 primer buildup after 10-15 shots. Fortunately, primer fouling is non-corrosive.