Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting Gear Review
 What are some easy excersies to get stronger so i can pull more weight >

What are some easy excersies to get stronger so i can pull more weight

Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

What are some easy excersies to get stronger so i can pull more weight

Old 02-13-2003, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are some easy excersies to get stronger so i can pull more weight

i have fifty poud bow and im working out to pull it back by bow season I no i will but i need to practice early spring.do no any excersices ??
Old 02-13-2003, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What are some easy excersies to get stronger so i can pull more weight

An exercise I like to use for that very reason is done with a set of springs, they have a plastic handle on each end and usually 5 springs that can be removed one at a time according to your strength level. You hold them out in front of you with both hands and pull apart, make sure you start light, maybe 2 springs. I do these in front of my chest standing up as well as behind my neck. I do these exercises year around 5 days a week, it only takes a few minutes each day which allows me to pull my bow back any time of year with ease. I shoot 74lbs and no problem. Mine is made by DP its called fit for life, you can find them at any sporting goods store for 20.00. Hope this helps. elknut1.
Old 02-14-2003, 08:39 AM

Default RE: What are some easy excersies to get stronger so i can pull more weight

I play Volleyball - really strengthens everything all at once, especially the shoulders. Unfortunatly, the body does take a beating....

Jim.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:57 PM

I would shot my bow at a pondage I could handle, but just handle, and then shoot-shoot-shoot and then shoot some more. Don
Old 02-16-2003, 04:56 PM

cabelas has a bow exerciser that has tention bands can get three different types light, medium and heavy from my understading you can use fingers or your release aid and you can buy the combo that includes an instructional video.
Old 02-17-2003, 09:13 AM
Typical Buck

Everyone has good ideas, but the springs I mentioned earlier not only will strengthen your bow arm, but will also strengthen your chest muscles, triceps, (muscles on back of arm ) neck,and both shoulders, all of this is important to eliminate chance of injury due to only working your bow arm. You might have read previous sites where this has happened to other hunters,not a fun injury, takes months to heal. Using the springs will exercise everything equally. Work out at your own pace. Good luck.
elknut1
Old 02-17-2003, 07:25 PM

i just shoot every chance i get when i am not working or fishing
Old 02-17-2003, 10:09 PM

I' m with ya huntforlife!

I started out with 60# and soon bumped it around 65+.
I shoot everyday. I recently had a chance to pull a buddies bow that I couldn' t pull 6 months ago, but one time and I was through. It was no problem now after shooting my bow everyday for the last 6 months. I recently got hooked again after a long hiatus.

I purchased a bow for my wife recently and I' m enjoying pulling the lighter weight. Her new bow, at the lighter weight, is much faster, smoother, accurate, and quieter, then my old relic! I could hold it back all day!
Old 02-19-2003, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

THe last Two issues of Bowhunter mag. has great
articles on building shoulder and back strength
check it out seems to be working for me!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

I would like to have the $34.00 Exercise set for bowhunters that Cabela' s lists. But until I bite the bullet I do the following.

I have a 1" target low on my living room window. I set flat on the floor with my feeo outspread. I draw my Mathews FX bow (set at 67 pounds) and hold my 20 yard pin on target for 30 seconds. I repeat this four more times for a total of five times. In this exercise/practice I concentrate on sight picture (I just learned to shoot with both eyes open-new for archery-not for guns). Which was learned in this practice. My first day on the range I could not return to old habit of One Eye only. I also concentrate on proper sight movement and anchor. I am also working on a slow steady level draw too with no raising or lowering of my bow arm (not like the old sky draw days).

Try it it works . . . but you will need to slowly work your way up to five times.