Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 what is a fowling shot >

what is a fowling shot

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what is a fowling shot

Old 06-14-2005, 11:51 AM

Default what is a fowling shot

what is a fowling shot and do u need to do it?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Default RE: what is a fowling shot

A fowling shot is when you shoot a duck,and yes you need it,especially when your hungry
Old 06-14-2005, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

When you shoot your rifle's first shot on a clean barrel the projectile will hit in one point. Some rifles will shoot the second shot on a fowled barrel to a different place on the target. Sometimes this difference will be just a matter of next to nothing to almost three inches or more in some rifles. My Wolverine II will ususally shoot 1.5 inches higher with the first shot then the following shots.

For this reason, some people will dump 30 grains of powder down the barrel, stuff a cotton patch on top of it, and fire that off to fowl the barrel. Then they swab the barrel like normal. That way, all their shots will hit in the same place on the target because all shots are taken on a dirty barrel.

Others will shoot the first shot on a clean barrel and if that shot hits an inch to the left lets say, they remember that and adjust their point of aim for the following shots. Some sight in for the second, fowled shot and adjust for the first shot.

Try you rifle and see if there is a big difference. Then you can decide how you want to sight the rifle in. I personally sight in for a clean dry barrel. I only need one shot if all goes well.

Also some people claim that if you run a lubed patch down the barrel after you load your projectile on a clean barrel, that it will act like a fowling.. I do not know, I never like to put lube in the barrel unless it is on a conical or roundball patch...
Old 06-14-2005, 02:07 PM

so the first shot will be directly on then the shots after that will be directly on at a differnt spot. why arnt shotguns or rifles like that?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Dominant Buck

A lot of this will depend on your personal rifle's characteristics. The first shot might be right on, and all the following also. You will not know until you try the rifle and the projectile. Also there are a lot of shooters that believe in fowling shots. My grandfather used to claim his deer rifle shot better with a dirty barrelthen clean. We always figured he did not like cleaning his rifle was all.

Some rifles have a big difference between the shots on a clean barrel and a fowled barrel. You will have to shoot it to tell.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:29 PM

thanks cayugad
Old 06-15-2005, 12:24 AM

I usually do it at home - it's legal to shoot where I live. I don't like to get out of my truck where I'm hunting and fire a round off.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:19 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: i shoot stuff

so the first shot will be directly on then the shots after that will be directly on at a differnt spot. why arnt shotguns or rifles like that?
They are very much like that. Espeically my slug gun.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:44 AM
bigcountry

A person should know where his cold bore shot hits and his fouled shot hits. Sometimes they are different. For me, I don't shoot a ML over 100 yards, so if my POI is 1-2" off I could care less with a ML. If I am going to a place where I plan to take 150-200 yard shots, then it matters. I would go to the range every day for a week takeing one shot in the morning. Then the next week, I would take one shot, clean/oil the barrel, and repeat that 3 or so days. That way I could compare cold bore fouled, and cold bore oiled.

Another thing a person should know IMO, is where your ML hits with a long term loaded shot. If I go for the whole 2 week season and not fired my shot off. I am always curious when I go to the range, to if the shot arrised what would have happened with my gun being loaded all week in all kinds of conditions. Usually I don't see more than a 1" POI difference. Its all about confidense.