Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

fowling shot

Old 06-01-2005, 07:38 PM

Default fowling shot

If i shoot a fowling shot before a hunt, then load another charge, don't shoot at an animal, and plan to hunt again. Do i have to clear my barrel and clean it after the hunt because of the fowling charge?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: fowling shot

That's up to you. I do know people that will run two days between cleaning. Personally I will not do that. I guess it is a matter of choice, but my rule is.. you shoot it - you clean it.

The other option is learn where the rifle hits on the first CLEAN barrel shot and sight according to that. For instance, sight in for the clean barrel and if after that they come in an inch low and to the left then you have to adjust for that. That way you do not need to fowl the barrel and just make sure and make the first shot count...
Old 06-01-2005, 08:56 PM

Before I figured out that I could get the first shot out of a clean barrel to hit the same as subsequent shots, I was going afield with a fouled barrel as well. This was recommended by the tech folks at Barnes about three or four years ago. I have left my stainless steel T/C Black Diamond fouled for six days without ill effects. This was, however, in the dry September weather of Colorado.

Since then, I swab my barrel between shots with diluted Windex (with vinegar), then a dry patch. It hits the same as the dry barrel shot. No real need to tempt fate with the fouled barrel.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:46 AM

have a KNIGHT LK-93 with ss barrel, and can tell you that unless i run a wet patch then a dry one after each shot,my groups are not the same as with a fouled barrel.the more shots in between cleaning the bore will yield bad shots in my gun.i carry a murine bottle with bore cleaner and clean patches to clean the barrel after each shot.i won't leave my gun loaded overnight due to the fact that our state law requires the cap to be removed from the nipple or bore when placed in a vehicle on a public road.this allows moisture to get to the powder or pellets and when capped again,locks the moisture with the powder.this is my personal experience not something i read or heard.
Old 06-02-2005, 07:53 AM

I've been firing a primer off to foul the barrel - does it do the same thing as a shot?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been firing a primer off to foul the barrel - does it do the same thing as a shot?
That's all I use the super-hot Federal 209-A primers for.... afterwards I use Remington 209-4 primers. I pop three of the Federals... then load the powder & bullet without swabbing. Vertically, it keeps me the same as my 2nd shot, horizontally, I'm still hitting around 4" left.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:50 PM

i never shoot a fowling shot. i like to start with a clean barrel. but i mostly use a lubed patch and ball. seems like i get about 5 or 6 good shots before things start to go hay-wire. and if i don't shoot it that day i use my air compressor to blow the load out. then run one quick patch. but if i shoot it i clean it.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:20 PM
XTP

I hunt with a fouling shot first.I have a couple spots where I can stop before I get to my hunting area and fire a blank round,that is, a wad of paper towel or rag over 50-60 grains of powder fired carefully(not towards any bush or timber) into the ground about 30 feet away. If the weather is dry,I will leave it for another day.Any moisture in the air and it is cleaned and the process repeated the following day.Whether or not you do this is up to you but I have never had a misfire.
Old 06-07-2005, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have always used a fouling shot because that was the way I was taught. Seems to work for me. I usually load pop a cap only off first and then a cap with 10-15 grains poured down the barrel. Followed by a wet, then dry patch before I load up for a hunt. I have left my rifle loaded for the entire hunt (up to a week) and it has always gone off at the end of the hunt normally.

If I find some Black mag 3 to use, I may try it both ways and see if there is any difference.

As you can see, there are as many opinions out there as people doing one thing or another!
Old 06-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: QTompkins2005

If i shoot a fowling shot before a hunt, then load another charge, don't shoot at an animal, and plan to hunt again. Do i have to clear my barrel and clean it after the hunt because of the fowling charge?
I've never used a fouling shot. Fouling attracts moisture and hunting all day with a fouled barrel does your rifle no favors as a result of this.

I always detail clean my ML in the evening if I've fired.

Really depends on in what condition do you sight the point of impact (POI) for your rifle?
From a fouled barrel or from a clean barrel?

I target/sight in from a clean barrel, cleaning after every shot with spit patch, alcohol patch then dry patch.

I get the most consistant and best groups from a clean barrel.

Thus, I never hunt with a dirty or fouled barrel.

My .02

Quick Reply: fowling shot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.