Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
Powders and what they mean to me. >

Powders and what they mean to me.

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Powders and what they mean to me.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:11 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cayugad
I refuse to shoot BlackHorn 209 in my Black Diamond XR. After digging out a chunk of 209 primer from my forehead the last time, you might say.. I learn quick. Now I am fully aware that some open breech shooters use BlackHorn 209 and report no problems. But there is that chance, that one of these times, a primer will blow out. And come back, as it did myself, into the face of the shooter. Let's hope it never happens. And if it does, no serious physical harm is done.
Wow, I didn't know that happened! Good to know. I'm glad I asked this question now. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a little late to this dance (been hunting), but let me add a FIVE STAR rating to your post Cayugad. Well done and spot on.
Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this should be entitled "Some powder observations" and put in the help forum.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Dave and Dutch:
i'm a dedicated user of Goex Pinnacle powder. Pinnacle is still available from Powder, Inc.

http://www.powderinc.com/cgi-bin/bps...R_ID=964381342

BlackMag3 will never be made again unless some other company does it. BlackMag lost its license to manufacture powder after the wreck that killed two workers at their plant.

On the range before breaking the rifle down, open the hammer, flintlock, or inline breech. Then I spray a LARGE amount of Simple Green into the muzzle of the barrel. I let this flow down through and out the breech plug, nipple, flash hole... I do this to start the cleaning process, but also to keep that fouling soft. Then I saturate a patch and swab the bore a couple times.
Works for me. Before leaving the range i either spray Windex with vinegar into the bore or use a saturated patch. Makes cleanup at home much easier.

Last edited by falcon; 01-17-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Spike

Great info.

I will have to try the "Simple Green" treatment.
Old 03-09-2013, 02:14 PM
Spike

Great post, Dave. Very clear and easy to read. Addresses a topic that has some (or many) of us mystified.