Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
Powders and what they mean to me. >

Powders and what they mean to me.

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Powders and what they mean to me.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good post Dave, great info.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

That is an excellent article you posted cayugad. It is detailed and very informative. There are many newcomers to the sport of muzzleloading it can be confusing with the variety of powders and components available today. When I started in 1970 it was black powder or nothing.

Today 99% of my shooting is with flintlock rifles so I use GOEX 3-f in all of them and prime with GOEX 4-f or Swiss Null-B. When I shoot percussion It is with my 1858 Remington and I like Triple & 3-f because it burns so clean and doesn't gunk up the pistol after repetitive loading and shooting. And as you pointed out is easy to clean.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very informative Dave!! I do keep some Pyro RS & P as well as Triple 7 3f around because I have a few rifles that like the taste of it, but for the most part its Black powder for me. It is getting tougher to find locally though, the closest supplier to me is 30mi. from my home. My shooting pards and I got together over a year ago and purchased 25lb. from a distributor and upon taking inventory after the season, we will probably place another order this year. Local price/lb. is near $25.00, buying in bulk is A LOT cheaper!!! And like you I clean my guns after each shooting session so I could care less what one manufacturer or anothers claims are about being non-corrosive....Keep shootin' and watch yer topnot!!!.....BPS
Old 01-15-2012, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im sticking with my Pyro RS and Pyro Pellets, I also could care less about fouling and cleaning as I take extra good care of all My MLer's. For me as long as it works good Im sticking with it, and I do actually enjoy the cleaning part it gives me something to do at night while the wifes at work.
I was thinking of trying some BH but after reading this it's not something that I need to try, seems like too much of a hassle especially the ignition problems and cost of it.
(BP)
Old 01-15-2012, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for this Dave. I always thought for all their differences, each powder has it's own quirks. I think I'll stick with the good ole tried and true Goex.

How's that old saying, Beware the man with one gun. Beware the man with one powder.

HA
Old 01-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Dutch
Great write up. One question; I thought Goex Pinacle was no longer made?

I do believe you are right. Goex Pinnacle I do not think is made anymore but I will not swear to that. Although there are places that have some still around. When it first came out, they claimed it would shoot in flintlocks so I purchased four pounds of it to test. And while it
"did kind of" shoot in flintlocks.. if you duplex the load with black powder it made it work much better.

But I did discover it shot great in inlines and even traditional rifles. And I started shooting it in my cap and ball revolvers.

So you're right I think. It is no longer made. But if you run across some... buy it. Its a nice powder.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Fork Horn

Very good, informative post on powders. Having tried, and still using some of these powders You are spot on. I have never tried Blackhorn though, as I will not pay $ 40.00 for it. (Going price around here) My favorite remains real black, and I may finally get to try some Swiss, as I am going to Maine soon, and will stop at the Maine Powder House, and pick up some in both FFG, and FFFG.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

I do believe you are right. Goex Pinnacle I do not think is made anymore but I will not swear to that. Although there are places that have some still around. When it first came out, they claimed it would shoot in flintlocks so I purchased four pounds of it to test. And while it
"did kind of" shoot in flintlocks.. if you duplex the load with black powder it made it work much better.

But I did discover it shot great in inlines and even traditional rifles. And I started shooting it in my cap and ball revolvers.

So you're right I think. It is no longer made. But if you run across some... buy it. Its a nice powder.[/QUOTE]

Cayugad,

Thanks for the info, I have one partial can left. When my MK85 arrives, I will certainly use it up in that rifle. Once gone, I guess I will have to switch to T7 because I don't seem to be smart enough to find and black powder in SE Michigan.

I think I read on one of the threads here that the Pinnacle is/was a sugar based powder made in conjunction with American Pioneer (which everyone seems to universally hate). Pinnacle was pretty good stuff. Since the new Black MZ is an Alliant/American Pioneer cooperation, do you think it will be a decent powder?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I can not say if Black MZ will be a good powder. If it is the same as the old Black Mag powder.. that was a very good powder.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very good post Dave, very informative.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.