Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

Indexing Sabots To The Lands

Old 03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Indexing Sabots To The Lands

Many of us believe that consistent alignment of the tabs and slots of the sabot with the lands and grooves of the barrel aids accuracy. It may or may not be true. But consistency in any step of the loading process can't hurt - right?

Anyway, here's what I do.

Use a flashlight and a "Sharpie" marker to mark the location of the lands on the muzzle.

Then place a bullet in the sabot and partially insert it into the muzzle, bullet first. Leave a small section of the slot exposed and rotate the sabot until the slots are centered on the grooves and the tabs are on the lands. This assures maximum and consistent contact of the lands to the sabot.

Use a small three-corner file to file an index notch on the outside rim or the muzzle at the slot location nearest the ramrod.

Every time you load, place the sabot's slot at the index mark. It will make you feel good.

Last edited by Semisane; 03-20-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree, I did some testing on if it made any difference and while it did not change the basic group size it eliminate over 50% of the fliers. I index mine with the front sight so that each leaf of the sabot gets two rifling's. Also the easy way to go at this is too look at a bunch of shot sabots to get to the point where you know if any of the rifling's are falling between the leaves of the sabot, if you only have one rifling mark on a leaf then you can explain some of your fliers.