Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Black Powder Reference Forum
What makes a Breechplug a Great BP? >

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Community
Black Powder Reference Forum Information written by our members to help the beginner, novice, and old-time muzzleloader on Flintlocks, Percussion and In-Lines.

What makes a Breechplug a Great BP?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sabotloader
From now on I'll snug (tighten) the BP down with the wrench and do the inspection inside the barrel to check the tape. This along with the O Rings should make a world of a difference. As I stated awhile back, the blow back was'nt all that bad, it was just on the fireing pin area and breech that surrounds it. This should be a big improvement I'll let you's know. The last thing I want to do is tun the threads in the Barrel, a BP can be replaced. My older style inlines had blow back pretty bad, plus I was using 150gr's of Pellets wich made it worse. After a session of shooting the outside of the breech area including the bottom of the scope was covered in blowback, I used to have to put bore butter on the outside of the barrel and scope where the blow back got just so it would clean off easier. Plus when I shot I'd actually feel the blowback particles hit me in the face.
Second I was afraid to look this morning after mentioning the (2-Piece BP) I thought I was gonna get thrown off the Forum,LOL! But hey ya never know if they had a 2-piece BP where the Primer was set inside then the second piece of the BP would screw onto it completely containing the Primer just leaving a small hole where the firing pin would ignite it, and when closed would make a tight fit.........
So on my Triumph the BP can only get tightened as much as the (turn) allows and no more, wich is good as you know when tight is tight, you cant overtighten it. On My ACCURA I'll just have to find that sweet spot.
Thank's for all the advice Mike, and everyone else, I'll let you know the results.
(BP)
Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Screwbolts

Yes, that is one my Rem BP's. And as I said The Remingtons are the only ML that the tape usually comes out intact and still on the BP.

Just goes to show you even thou I read your post and found the info very good, I missed the word Remington, Thank you for clarifying. I just reread it LMAO ,Yes it is plain as day listed as your Remingtons.

LMAO

Ken
Old 01-12-2010, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
I know some have the XT speed BP and since I use the Teflon tape on them I put a picture on.
The thing I found thats different is that I need to spray the Teflon with Birchwood Casey synthetic oil after I stretch it on to be able to operate the insertion and extraction of the BP with bare fingers.
It is not necessary with this type BP but it sure makes clean up a lot easier. The BP shown are from my Triumph and my Endeavor encore, the Triumph still has the home-made Savage type vent-liner the Encore Endeavor has the Lehigh, the Triumph has the vent liner backed up a couple turns so it is visible. I found making vent liners a painstaking job and not worth it when you can by then for about 5 dollars. Although I have never burned one out if it did [matter of time] even though they are much harder than a breach plug it is simple to replace them and much cheaper than an XT breach plug. It is also nice to take them out when doing a thorough cleaning, polishing the flame channel also helps keep the carbon form sticking.
Lee can you post a pic (not thumbnail) as for some reason I cant open the darn things on My Computer.
Thank's
(BP)
Old 01-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

From now on I'll snug (tighten) the BP down with the wrench and do the inspection inside the barrel to check the tape.
At the fireing rang I really do not like to loosen the plug and for me it is not necessary... But, I would back to Cayugad's words of wisdom for you when you are starting out.... after 7/10 shots with your wrench back the plug off just a smige and re-snug it.... I would do this until you are comfortable with the whole operation...

This along with the O Rings should make a world of a difference. As I stated awhile back, the blow back was'nt all that bad, it was just on the fireing pin area and breech that surrounds it.
Just remember with that plug you are battling two sources of possible blow back. Blow back from the threads and blow back from the primer system in the BP.

I am positive the tape will stop the BB from the threads... and I am sure the 'O' ring will help the 2nd source.

If you look at your Triumph BP you will see they stop thread blow back with the gas rings on the nose of the BP and what might get by that is stopped by the 'O' ring at the collar. And that 'O' ring is replaceable.

So on my Triumph the BP can only get tightened as much as the (turn) allows and no more, wich is good as you know when tight is tight, you cant overtighten it. On My ACCURA I'll just have to find that sweet spot.
I would say that is a pretty accurate description...

The Triumph works so well because you are actually compressing those steel gas rings in that quarter of a turn to creat the seal... That design came from one of the milatary rifles that use the same type gas rings.

At first do not be afraid to even put a light coat of gun oil on the outside of the Teflon tape to help it screw in smoother if you are having a problem... It should go in smooth and with about the same amount of twist pressure all the way to the snug position.

Aint it all fun?
Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Here is Lee's picture

Old 01-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Screwbolts

No problem - I NEVER do that
Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's Sabotloader
One other question, I know the BP on the Triumph is a good one, but since the Primer also sits a tad bit above the BP, if one were to put a O Ring under the Primer on the TC's BP then this should really make it work good? Also I cant open lee's pic, it wont even give me a (hand) on it, just a (arrow).
(BP)
Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

I know the BP on the Triumph is a good one, but since the Primer also sits a tad bit above the BP, if one were to put a O Ring under the Primer on the TC's BP then this should really make it work good?
Really do not think it is necessary - I can not get ANY blowback from the Triumph even with a 140 grains of BH. It is the cleanest gun I own..

I posted Lees's picture for you...
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Breach Plug I took those BP out of the guns to take the picture they were in the guns ready to shoot. Lee
Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got some O Rings to put behind the Primer today and just went out and shot a few rounds into the McKenzie Deer Targets that I still have in my yard from Bow Season. It made a Big Difference. I first used a T7 Primer that was loose fitting in the BP, it fell out if you tipped the BP twords the ground. The O Ring made a better seal and there was hardly any blowback. Then I tried a Remington Kleen Bore Primer that was a tighter fit, blowback was even less. Both were almost clean, but the Rem. was better. I suspect the hole in the Breechplug is TOO BIG, it lets too much blowback through, it should be smaller. Does anyone else have a ACCURA and notice this?
And I can get away with this as I live in the Country and my only neighbors are my Inlaws that live accross the road from me. My Mother in Law called a few minutes later and said are you shooting Coyotes again? I said yes to keep it short.
So a O Ring behind the Primer in a ACCURA cuts the Blowback to hardly none.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.