Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best place to shoot an elk?? >

Best place to shoot an elk??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best place to shoot an elk??

Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 PM

Default RE: Best place to shoot an elk??

sometimes the truth HURTS![8D]
Old 05-13-2005, 11:47 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Yes there are exceptions to every rule but an arrow or bullet through the lungs only will 99.9% of the time kill an animal quicker than a heart shot. Any surgeon will tell you the same thing.
Good to see some people have a flipping clue out there, especially when a thread goes haywire like this one.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:34 PM

There was an article in a nation wide magazine yrs ago that brought up this anatomical questioin as well.The writers answer was the best place to shoot an moose or elk was about 20yds from the truck! lol
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 PM

after this i studied bow hunting alot! i didn't want to have an animal last that long after a bow shot. what i have found is inlike a gun, with an arrow u want to hit the heart! PERIOD! an arrow kills by what? loss of blood, the heart is what pumps the blood= no heart no pumping. so this year i will hit the heart or under shoot all my game.
manboy, i really find it hard for me to believe that you study bowhuting alot, i believe you need to learn and listen from experienced bow hunters abroad. I think it is very un sportsman like in only trying to heart shoot such a magnificent animal like an elk. I go to many 3D archery shoots, and you should see the number of people trying to hit the 12 spot on the elk by the heart, alot of the shots end up in the front shoulder and many also end up too low, and not fatal for bringing down an elk. You not only owe it to yourself but to the animal you are trying to harvest, with the largest part of the vitals being the lungs, and in my opinion, the best shot and quickest humane shot for a bow, is to take a double lung shot. I am not trying to knock you, but take this info. for what its worth, between me and my two brothers, we have put down over 25 bulls-all DOUBLE LUNGED-- Nuff said...
Oh, and by the way, can you guarantee that you will undershoot your game if you miss the small target of a heart, --I think NOT!!!
Old 06-15-2005, 02:15 AM

Elk Anatomy Overview: http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

In looking at an elk's circulatory system and bone structure, there appears to be two good spots to shoot for:

1. Heart and Lung area slightly behind the front leg / near the top of the shoulder.

2. Spine / Base of Neck Area. Following the forward portion of the front leg 1/2 to 2/3'rds up to where the neck meets the spine. There are a lot of major support bones in this area that when broken, should anchor the animal very quickly.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

I'm with Robinhood36, heck, how can you argue with a guy who has a handle like that!!!<grin>

A heart shot critter with a bow will travel much farther than a double lunger, but yes, both will die!! Double lunger and your blood trails are much heavier to follow, even though it will be a short one!! Good Luck!!----ElkNut1
Old 06-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I look at the circulatory system of the elk, and I see one thing. Place your arrow 5-6 inches left of the heart and you are in the out of the ballpark. Shoot into the mass of lungs and hit that far left, and you are in the liver. Still a kill shot even though you had better wait. I clicked the dot off and wish that I hadn't. Manboy, do what you want, but there has only been one thing at the end of my bloodtrails................a gutpile. My tracking skills are great if needed, even though they don't get excersized much. I n the last 5 years I have had 11 big game animals on the ground, and ALL were double lunged exept for one. I hit further back into the liver. I waited for an extra 2 hours and found the bull about 100 yards away. These people on here are not rookies, so stop treating them like they don't know what they are talking about. You would be surprised at the accomplishments of several on here, and where they have acheived their knowledge. Personal attacks on people show the type of person one is.

And by the way, what I was swallowing was a mouthful of elk steak!!!!!!!!!!