Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Best place to shoot an elk?? >

Best place to shoot an elk??

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Best place to shoot an elk??

Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 AM

Default RE: Best place to shoot an elk??

I like shooting them in the bed of my pickup - it's getting them in there that is the hard part.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:05 AM

manboy, it seems to me you must of taken an angle shot on that elk, and punctured one lung, for it to stay alive for 23min., i have shot many elk with a bow and all have went down immediately, and i even watched a couple of the bulls i have DOUBLE LUNGED go down right in front of me after impact of my arrow. I highly stress to take a double lung shot on an elk, and the animal will collapse rather quickly, no problem on this end with a double lung shot...RobinHood36...
Old 05-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Most folks that have hunted a long time have witnessed some pretty unbelievable instances of a "diehard" big game animal. One of my companions shot a cow elk at about 100 yards almost broadside once; with me standing right there watching - 7 Rem Mag with a 139 Hornady Interlock. Elk ran about 1/4 mile and laid down (resting). As we approached, it got up and started running off. He shot it again and broke the spine. It was still trying to drag itself off on its front legs, so he shot it in the head. It continued to twitch and kick for almost 15 minutes. Later, when we were skinning it, I was amazed that the first bullet had gone through both lungs, making a sizeable hole - and lodged in the off shoulder. Nothing wrong with the bullet or bullet placement. Just one tough specimen! Roskoe.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:32 PM

o.k. nvmike, 1st i never said i beleive that someone shot a deer in the heart and it lived for 45 mins. that is HUNTNMULEYS story not mine!
with archery a heart shot is quiker with a rifle it is the othe way around! and yes i had my watch on with this elk, and no she didn't get up, she was standing the whole time, a whitetail buck spooked her and she walked off out of sight.

do u bow hunt nvmike? if u do u should know that an arrow does not blow up the lungs! it puts a small 1" hole in them!

and robinhood= it was a broadside shot, and it shot right though both her lungs! the only way i have ever seen any animal shot with an arrow go down immediatly was with a spine shot, to high of a shot!

i stress that u read the replies before u get bent out of shape.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes there are exceptions to every rule but an arrow or bullet through the lungs only will 99.9% of the time kill an animal quicker than a heart shot. Any surgeon will tell you the same thing.

There are many thousand times as many blood vessels in the lungs than there are in any other part of the body. When the lungs get sliced blood pressure instantly drops, blood vessels to other parts of the body constrict, and the heart beats faster and faster to make up for the loss in blood pressure. The faster the heart beats the faster the body and brain are deprived of oxygen and the quicker the animal passes out and dies.

If the heart has a hole through it it can not pump blood so the blood simply drains from the heart with the help of gravity rather than being pumped out under force.

Think of a single cylinder water pump. If the cylinder wall has a hole in it then it can not move water. It will simplysloshed it around instead of pumping it out in one direction. Now put a hole in the hose attached to that pump and water goes spraying everywhere.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with robinhood and big bulls on this one. One shot with an arrow through the lungs on any big game animal and it will go down quick. Rifle may be another story with the bullet cauterizing the wound as it goes. With an arrow, those lungs will fill with blood and the animal is going down very fast. I have had elk go right down as soon as the arrow passes through. The farthest recovery was 50 yards and the animal was down within seconds. I have a hard time swallowing the fact that any elk shot with an arrow through both lungs will make it over 75 yards or so. I have also shot many animals in the heart. From what I have experienced, the animal makes the run of death and can cover much more ground than a double lung hit elk. I have witnessed 18 different elk go down in the past 5 years, I would have to say that the ones that were hit double lung, went down the fastest. I always try to aim high and back from the scapula. Trying to make a heart shot puts me a little closer than I like from such a large bone. I haven't lost one yet, so I am sticking to what I would consider the sweet spot, which for me is a little higher and a little back...................
Old 05-12-2005, 11:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone noticed that when you click the green dot next to manboy's name he actually has some great things to say
Old 05-13-2005, 05:59 AM

i don't know what u like to swallow crazy8.... but if u were with me on my hunt u would have learned what i did, not to shoot high in the lungs,

u should have seen the blood on the cavity, gallons, but none on the ground

u can shoot where u would like at game , but i with arrows will be shooting at heart, this is from personal hunts, someday u may see the same as i....
untill then i hope u have fun tracking...

i have only seen the run of death , when shot with a gun.. its called shock!

i also have never lost an elk, but even from successfull hunts u can learn things, if u pay attention!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:20 AM

ElkCrazy8,

I turned that green dot over to red sometime ago, now all I see is....

"***Ignored*** This user is on your "block" list and the message has been blocked.***"

God what a relief.
================

Generally Speaking:
I can understand, respect and deal with opposing viewpoints. However, it becomes a beast of a different color when the message (even if it contains relevent info) is couched in personal attacks, taunts, slapstick, potty mouth, and
sh!tkicker-itis.
================

Trolls, the bane of Internet forums.

Since trolls appear to thrive on the dissention and anger created by personal attacks (versus the wrestling of ideas and issues), IMHO the only effective response is to ignore them. Without their required daily dose of negative responses to "feed on" they typically "wither" rather quickly. The problem usally lies in the fact that on any given day trolls can typically goad someone into responding to their insults and thus get their daily "anger fix".

I have seen some "class A1 trolls" dealt with over at A/R in this fashion and it seems to be quite effective. When the troll continues to keep popping up, folks keep reminding them with this post....

That's funny, all I see is,
" ***Ignored*** This user is on your "block" list and the message has been blocked.*** "
================

Take it and use it for what ever you think it is worth.
Old 05-13-2005, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the tip guys.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Best place to shoot an elk??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.