Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 tell me the difference....... >

tell me the difference.......

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

tell me the difference.......

Old 05-06-2005, 08:10 PM

Default tell me the difference.......

o.k. what is the difference in riding an atv to hunt or riding horse? u put your lazy a$$ on something and let it do the work! and buy the way i do not own a atv or a horse! do i use an atv, yes if i get the chance! would i hunt off of it hell no!

shato- u and i are not that differant in our hunts, u hunt hard and don't mind working for your animal, so do i! i will just not pay a guide. that is just me, i can't see how i guide earns his take for a week of hunting?

oh and one more thing please don't hold back guy's!
Old 05-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: tell me the difference.......

There is a BIG difference in riding a horse vs and ATV!!

One - horses are animals that were naturally here before we were. You can take them where it is not legal to take an ATV. I know a lot of horsemen, and they are some of the hardest hunting people I know. They use them to get back in even farther than the hardest hiker could even imagine to go. Horses do not make nearly the noise, nor do they pollute nearly as much as ATV's do. And you are not just riding around on your horse looking for game, and magically sneak up on it without being spotted. You get to an area, often times leaving the horse at camp and walking around camp during the hunt, and then using the horse to carry 300lbs of elk meat out instead of trying to get it all on your back, or worse yet, only being able to take a few cuts at a time, and by the time you get to the kill site for the rest of the animal, its all gone, eaten by either a bear or cougar. Horses can make or break a hunt, especially if you hunt solo many (10, maybe 15? more?) miles back into wilderness, and like to take more than what a minimalist would call comfortable. You can ride the horse in the 10 miles or whatever with a comfortable amount of gear, more than you could easily do on your back in one trip, then set camp, leave the horse in camp during the day, hunt, get your animal, bone it out, and walk out with camp and animal on the horse in one trip, rather than making two or more trips to do it on your back.

An ATV??? It gets you from point A to point B on a road a little quicker than walking
Old 05-06-2005, 09:20 PM
DM

One - horses are animals that were naturally here before we were.
Isn't it true that the "Spaniards" brought horses to America???????? If i'm right about that, horses were NOT here before humans were.

Drilling Man
Old 05-06-2005, 09:44 PM
Fork Horn

dm, that was what i was gonna say

brad
Old 05-06-2005, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The breeds that we have today are not native to North America, but horses were here many years before man, and then died off, and then were brought back here from Europe. I didn't mean it to be a "they were here before us" type statement, but rather they are more natural to the landscape than ATV's will ever be, no matter how much we camoflauge them.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been hurt by ATV's and horses. I prefer to get my elk out on a pair of Danners.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a good point there Elkcrazy8!!! I have fallen off a horse before, it wasn't a fun experience, but the horse was well trail broken, and as soon as she felt the saddle slip, she stopped in her tracks until I was completely free. I have yet to be hurt by one, but that will not keep me from getting on them
Old 05-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ever heard of the phrase "leave only foot prints behind"?

Horses are natural animals.

Ever see what a group of irresponsible ATVers can do to a piece of unspoiled land. Horses do not tear up the land no where nearly as badly as ATV's.

Horses do not pollute the land with exhaust fumes, spilt gasoline, and noise.

A horse has a mind and a will of its own where as an ATV you are in complete control if you want to be. So it certainly aint all cookies and cream.

Horses don't run out of gas and leave you stranded. In fact they can save your life sometimes. An ATV can get you stuck where as a horse can get you out of a bad situation.

Horses have a will to live where as an ATV does not. This could save your but hunting miles from yout truck.

Horses can usually find their way out and many times can find their way back to a truck where as an ATV can not.

Horses do not spook the game animals into the next county.

Hunting with or off of a horse aint all about getting your "lazy a$$ on something and letting it do the work". With horses comes more work than you could immagine. You should try it sometime and let us know what your opinion about hunting with them is.

BTW, it's not just ATV's. In most states that have wilderness, not just national forrest, no kind of machinery is allowed inside the wilderness boundaries. This would include things like chain saws and bicycles as well as motorcycles and ATV's.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:07 AM

A horse can take you back to camp in the dark when you are lost or asleep. I prefer mules they are calmer than horses and surer footed.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer mules they are calmer than horses and surer footed.

The original ATV in my opinion. They do something else an ATV doesn't do that is hold their value or actually increase in value

Quick Reply: tell me the difference.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.