Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Weapon of Choice?

Old 04-13-2005, 12:39 AM

Default RE: Weapon of Choice?

i am new too a bow but can't wait to go elk hunting and might even try mulies this year .
love to rifle hunt love the balistics of the darn things but i would love to go elk or for that matter any hunting with a sharps 45-70 or 45-120 tink that would be sooooooooooooo cool and really fair chase except for a bow lol
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Typical Buck

Stick and string, XI Force One, There is no other way to hunt, I don't own a rifle or muzzle loader. Not to be a snob, but I don't need anything else. Where else are you going to get a month long season to chase screaming bulls, only bow season!
Gselkhunter
Old 04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

This is a tough question for me. The reason why is when I rifle hunt it is a completely different hunt than when I'm bowhunting. It's about perspective I guess.

When I'm hunting purely for the sake of going hunting then the thrill of the bowhunt takes the cake. Nothing like the stalk and the satisfaction that comes from the success of getting in close and the time of year most bow hunts take place.

But hunting is sometimes my way of getting away from it all. From that perspective there is nothing like sitting on a rock unbothered for 6 hours straight with my rifle in hand. Muley hunting is the best for this. I take some snacks and something to drink and think about nothing or I may reflect on something that is bothering me in my life and "sort it out." The funny thing is I can never do this any where else. I get too restless. But when I'm watching a drainage where I know lots of deer live and other animals I can just sit and watch for hours, glassing the hillside waiting to see what might happen next. I've probably seen and heard more that way than anything else.

Both experiences for me are unique and it's hard to put one above another. Depends on my mood I suppose. I try and get a dose of both every year.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

Bow...definitely.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:00 PM

I get the biggest sense of accomplishment from taking animals with archery equipment,but for me it is the effort that went in to the hunt/kill.When I expend great effort and am successful with the taking of an animal it doesn't matter much which weapon I was using!
Some how it seems that while reflecting on seasons past,the memory of the archery kill's brings more of a smile to my face!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:51 PM

I have bowhunted for around 30 years and I have never thought twice about it. I am a bowhunter for life.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

i'ld have to say that i enjoy any type of hunting be it rifle or bow. but so far i've only had success with my rifle. but i'm planning on changing that this year. i'm going to have more time to bow hunt and i just got a new better bow.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:15 AM

I rifle hunted for the first 15 years of my hunting experience, however I have been a bowhunter for the past 4 and there is no comparison IMO. Bowhunter for LIFE - There is nothing like it!
Old 04-24-2005, 11:15 AM

the onley weapon ive ever used is a rifle for big game or shot gun or 22 for small where i live and hunt its all pretty much thick forests. not that a bow couldent be used i just prefer my 308 savage or remington 06 pump
Old 04-24-2005, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I cant say I like one more than the other I simply see it as a tool that I use to hunt from bow for elk to a bow & smoke pole for deer to gig for frogs or Dasiy Red Rider for sparrows it just dose not matter Iam just there for the hunt and the next adventure!

Quick Reply: Weapon of Choice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.