Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

30-06 and grizzly

Old 03-23-2005, 09:56 PM

Default 30-06 and grizzly

ok, i read somewhere on here that if you are going to hunt grizzly that you should use nothing less than a .338. now, i am not going to hunt grizzly but i like to hike, and where i hike there are grizzly around, so i want to carry my gun (30-06) with me. so, will my 06 be able to stop a grizz if i am in need of defense? i may buy a .338 cause i know a guy that is selling one, but if i dont buy it the 06 is what i will be carrying around. what do you guys think, is the 06 able to defend me??
Old 03-23-2005, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-06 and grizzly

Put some 180's in the 06 and it'll be fine if thats what you got. I do a lot of back packing, fishing and hunting in griz country here and use an 06, but I like my 870 loaded with slugs because its easier to pack than a rifle in. I also carry a can of pepper spray and a 357, 3" ruger on me at all times when deep in griz country. Just beware of your surroundings at all times and look for signs when in bear country. Bobby
Old 03-24-2005, 04:15 AM

After my buddy's experience in Alaska, I personally wouldn't use an 06'. It may be ok if you were hunting an unsuspecting Grizz ( IMO I wouldn't use it then either, you can't be OVER gunned when your life may depend on it! ), but not enough for a charging Grizz, IMO. My Buddy and his father-in-law were hunting Moose in Alaska. They shot one, ( range of about 275 yards ), it ran into the brush and disappeared. They went after it, but had to lead their horses because the rocks etc. were very wet and loose. When they got to where the Moose was standing when they shot it, they started their tracking job. About 5 minutes into the recovery, the brush and trees started snapping off ( coming in their direction ), and the horses fled away down the mountain. A huge Grizzly had taken their Moose and was now defending his kill. At a range of 20 feet!!, my buddies father-in-law fired 4 rounds from his 375 Winchester Magnum. The first round hit the bear in the center of the forehead, setting him down on his haunches. He then stood up on his hind legs and started swatting the air as if he was be attacked by a swarm of bees or something. The other 3 rounds went in to his shoulder and chest. The big bear ran down over the mountain and disappeared. The next morning ( they were too scared to look for him that evening ), they went down the mountain to look for the bear and their horses. 400 yards later, they found the dead bear and one of their mauled horses! The first round that hit him in the forehead, did not penetrate, but ricocheted off of his skull! The bear squared out at 10' 6 1/2 ". This may not be a typical situation but IMO, I think if they would have had an 06', they would not have survived this attack. If I were in Grizzly country, I would rather have too much gun ( if there is such a thing ), just in case of ANY situation.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM
DM

A 30 cal. 200 Nosler partition will penetrate better than a .375 270 grain soft point!!! As will a 175 grain NP out of a 7 mag.!!

If you shoot a big bear with an 06 useing 200 NP's it will not deflect off the bears skull in a "direct hit!!!" The nose will blow off the NP, but the base will penetrate the skull!! BUT keep in mind, "all cals." will deflect on a "glanceing" hit!!!!

Also, no matter how big the cal. is, "if" you don't break a bear down it will NOT stop!!!! You need good shooting and a good expanding bullet that "penetrates" excelent!!!! This is why i like NP's so well. When the nose blows off, it leaves a cal. diameter bullet that drives through bone ect.. without breaking up!!

I would not be afraid to carry an 06 with 200 NP's in bear country, and all i can tell you is, PRACTICE with what ever rifle you carry, and make it second nature to aim and fire!!!!

A bear with "two" broken front shoulders will not run down a mountain!! A bear with one broken shoulder has just become a big problem!!

Drilling Man
Old 03-24-2005, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with DM,a 06 with 200 gr Noslers will work,but I'm a Montana resident and hunt a lot of bear country.I carry a .338 win mag and shoot most of the time 225 gr or bigger bullets.I like the .338 for the preformance I get on elk and deer,but also for encountering a griz.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:50 PM

ok thanks for the info guys, depending on if i buy the 338, but i will invest in some of the nosler partitions for now, i have never used them is there a preferred brand you guys use, or are they just called nosler partitions? i use winchester products, i use the 180 gr silvertips for all my hunting. i am glad to hear that my 06 will work, i dont usually get nervous and too excited when i am hunting so i should be able to get a good shot placement if i have too, allthough i have never had a grizz charge me, so maybe i may get a little roughed up then, haha. again thanks for the info.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:49 PM
Dominant Buck

Mybig,This is what I also take with me!
It's about 20% stronger than human spray.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM

how far can that stuff spray?
Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Dominant Buck

You don't want to use this on any friends or family!

Old 03-24-2005, 04:04 PM
Dominant Buck

This one 20ft but there are others which spray further,
but IMO, then you will have a wind factor and you lose
some to the wind.

I take .338WinMag and .44Mag side arm,but If you are an expirienced
hunter you can use your 06 with no minimun than 200gr and place your
shot properly and not to long of a shot.

Quick Reply: 30-06 and grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.