HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06 and grizzly
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 04:15 AM
rob1

Default RE: 30-06 and grizzly

After my buddy's experience in Alaska, I personally wouldn't use an 06'. It may be ok if you were hunting an unsuspecting Grizz ( IMO I wouldn't use it then either, you can't be OVER gunned when your life may depend on it! ), but not enough for a charging Grizz, IMO. My Buddy and his father-in-law were hunting Moose in Alaska. They shot one, ( range of about 275 yards ), it ran into the brush and disappeared. They went after it, but had to lead their horses because the rocks etc. were very wet and loose. When they got to where the Moose was standing when they shot it, they started their tracking job. About 5 minutes into the recovery, the brush and trees started snapping off ( coming in their direction ), and the horses fled away down the mountain. A huge Grizzly had taken their Moose and was now defending his kill. At a range of 20 feet!!, my buddies father-in-law fired 4 rounds from his 375 Winchester Magnum. The first round hit the bear in the center of the forehead, setting him down on his haunches. He then stood up on his hind legs and started swatting the air as if he was be attacked by a swarm of bees or something. The other 3 rounds went in to his shoulder and chest. The big bear ran down over the mountain and disappeared. The next morning ( they were too scared to look for him that evening ), they went down the mountain to look for the bear and their horses. 400 yards later, they found the dead bear and one of their mauled horses! The first round that hit him in the forehead, did not penetrate, but ricocheted off of his skull! The bear squared out at 10' 6 1/2 ". This may not be a typical situation but IMO, I think if they would have had an 06', they would not have survived this attack. If I were in Grizzly country, I would rather have too much gun ( if there is such a thing ), just in case of ANY situation.