HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 30-06 and grizzly
View Single Post
Old 03-24-2005, 08:28 AM
DM

Default RE: 30-06 and grizzly

A 30 cal. 200 Nosler partition will penetrate better than a .375 270 grain soft point!!! As will a 175 grain NP out of a 7 mag.!!

If you shoot a big bear with an 06 useing 200 NP's it will not deflect off the bears skull in a "direct hit!!!" The nose will blow off the NP, but the base will penetrate the skull!! BUT keep in mind, "all cals." will deflect on a "glanceing" hit!!!!

Also, no matter how big the cal. is, "if" you don't break a bear down it will NOT stop!!!! You need good shooting and a good expanding bullet that "penetrates" excelent!!!! This is why i like NP's so well. When the nose blows off, it leaves a cal. diameter bullet that drives through bone ect.. without breaking up!!

I would not be afraid to carry an 06 with 200 NP's in bear country, and all i can tell you is, PRACTICE with what ever rifle you carry, and make it second nature to aim and fire!!!!

A bear with "two" broken front shoulders will not run down a mountain!! A bear with one broken shoulder has just become a big problem!!

Drilling Man