Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

30-06 and grizzly

Old 03-24-2005, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-06 and grizzly

rob1, when you say .375 Winchester Mag you realy mean a .375 Winchester right, not a .375 H&H? There is a big huge difference between a .375 H&H and a .375 Winchester. The H&H has a lot more powder and energy behind the bullet! I have a hard time believing a H&H would not penetrate the bear's skull. But with a .375 Winchester it would not surprize me one bit!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

I was thinking the same thing? what the heck is a .375 win mag? A 375 win is nothing more that a glorrified 35 marlin. Stoke that 06 with 250gr barnes and let the fur fly.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes thats what concerns me is hunters that are unexperienced in bear encounters and when a griz comes in and bluffs at full speed towards you and then retreats back and then does this another time or two and why is she/he doing this? There is a reason for it, but those that are not familiar with bear encounters will shoot and then ask questions later. I think some people in here watch too much Hollywood and believe that they can make a killing shot at a charging griz in the kill zone before it reaches them, the adrelian alone will keep the beast alive long enough, even with its heart blown out to consume your inerds. I am not talking about some Alaskan Brown bear eating salmon but I am talking about the beast that is like the great white shark of the land, "The mountain griz". Usually a pistol gives the individual confidence, but in realility, it happens so fast that really does one have a chance to react. Have you ever step on a pile of griz crap while trecking in prior to dark-thirty? I do it almost every year. I am am firm believer in the use of bear spray expecially in the spring as I know for a fact that it works on cow moose as I got between one and her calf that I didn't realize. Also, Its because of non-residents shooting grizzlies up here thinking there blackies that we have to take an idenification test in order to obtain a stamp. If you do shoot a griz here in the states it had better have powder burns on it, Friend of mine shot a griz after the second lunge with a 7 mag at point blank range and the feds came out and determined that it was a justifiable shooting due to the powder burns. Sometimes its justifiable but mostly the're shot out of an individuals fear, sorry to vent, but its just a touchey subject with me and just remember its us invading there space. [:@] Bobby
Old 03-24-2005, 09:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 121553

Sometimes thats what concerns me is hunters that are unexperienced in bear encounters and when a griz comes in and bluffs at full speed towards you and then retreats back and then does this another time or two and why is she/he doing this? There is a reason for it, but those that are not familiar with bear encounters will shoot and then ask questions later. I think some people in here watch too much Hollywood and believe that they can make a killing shot at a charging griz in the kill zone before it reaches them, the adrelian alone will keep the beast alive long enough, even with its heart blown out to consume your inerds. I am not talking about some Alaskan Brown bear eating salmon but I am talking about the beast that is like the great white shark of the land, "The mountain griz". Usually a pistol gives the individual confidence, but in realility, it happens so fast that really does one have a chance to react. Have you ever step on a pile of griz crap while trecking in prior to dark-thirty? I do it almost every year. I am am firm believer in the use of bear spray expecially in the spring as I know for a fact that it works on cow moose as I got between one and her calf that I didn't realize. Also, Its because of non-residents shooting grizzlies up here thinking there blackies that we have to take an idenification test in order to obtain a stamp. If you do shoot a griz here in the states it had better have powder burns on it, Friend of mine shot a griz after the second lunge with a 7 mag at point blank range and the feds came out and determined that it was a justifiable shooting due to the powder burns. Sometimes its justifiable but mostly the're shot out of an individuals fear, sorry to vent, but its just a touchey subject with me and just remember its us invading there space. [:@] Bobby
BOBBY, I AGREE WITH YOU 100%,BUT I THINK MYBIGREDTRUCK HAS MADE UP HIS MIND
TO GO. HE SHOULD AT LEAST REALLY KNOW WHAT HE IS GETTING INTO, ESPECIALLY
IF HE IS GOING UP INTO THE HIGH COUNTRY WITH HORSES.THEM GRIZZS LOVE HORSE MEAT...
Old 03-26-2005, 03:35 PM
Banned

The Remington 220 grains core lock bullet was what the Rangers in Alaska used, and probably still use. Most 180 grains are designed to open up in light game like deer. If you are shooting Mosse or Bear the Remington 220 grains is the prefered one.
Old 03-26-2005, 03:57 PM
Dominant Buck

Agree with you.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:51 PM
DM

The Remington 220 grains core lock bullet was what the Rangers in Alaska used, and probably still use. Most 180 grains are designed to open up in light game like deer. If you are shooting Mosse or Bear the Remington 220 grains is the prefered one.
You ever shoot anything with one of those?????

Last 220RN i fired was at a caribou standing about 80 yards away faceing me on a ridge. I let one fly and hit the caribou in the center of the brisket!!! That damn bullet only went in about 10 inches and the core seperated from the jacket!!!

Like i said LAST ONE!!!!!!!

How would YOU like to try and penetrate the skull or shoulders of a big bear with one of those??????

A 200 NP would have done as it should have and exited that caribou!!!!!!!

Drilling Man
Old 03-28-2005, 07:54 AM

man if one of those things was charging me i would sh!t my pants... if i were you i'de go buy one of those barrett .50's, i bet a few of those 50 cals would slow a griz down... but just to carry the cannon your gonna need an extra horse...
Old 03-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Dominant Buck

I have been there before,but I carry a BLR .338mag and Ruger .44mag
side arm,plus bear spray when going into high country.
I think he has made-up his mind on the 30-06 anyway.
Maybe he can't afford anything else.

PSALM 141:8
Old 03-28-2005, 08:53 AM
Typical Buck

If you want to hunt with bears, you need to know what to do. Most any hand gun will kill the bear if he is attacking you.People just do not want to let it go that far. Dont wast your bullets shooting at a bear runing at you. the best is to hold your hand gun right by your head,when the bear gos to bite your head you shoot it in the roof of the mouth. SHURE DEATH KILL. [this is only if you or a goup is actuly being attacted]

I think most of the time people get woried befor there time and try to skeer the bear off with some shoots.Then when the time comes they have no rounds in there gun.

I have only been pushed by bears 3 times.All 3 north of lincon MT. All with hourses,all with game on the ground.Every time was hear rassing all went well though. If you go in bear spots you need to have VERY good hourses.

If you cary a rifle it better be to potect some one else [not your self]. To protect your self you sould go hand gun, pepper spray or shoot gun. pepper stray 1st

Quick Reply: 30-06 and grizzly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.