Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

I want to go Elk hunting

Old 01-13-2005, 06:24 PM

Default I want to go Elk hunting

How much can I excpect to pay for a decent elk hunt? Co or Wy
Old 01-13-2005, 06:40 PM

Default RE: I want to go Elk hunting

What type of hunt you looking for? You can expect to pay $500 for either sex tag or $250 for a cow tag in Colorado. A do it yourself hunt is the least expensive, just gas and food added to the tag price. You could do a drop campfor several hundred dollars or fully guided hunt for several thousand dollars.
A few more details of what you expect or want will help getting an idea of costs.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:41 PM
Typical Buck

There is a big difference in price depending on location, type of hunt i.e.: wilderness, ranch, drop or fully guided. Also a big difference in price between states. If you are planning a fully guided wilderness trophy hunt you can expect to pay between $3000 and $6000 for the 7-10 day hunt. This does not include gratuities, airfare, taxidermy, meat processing and other incidentals. As you can tell it gets quite expensive.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well that depends on what you consider decent.

Do you want to stay in a cabin and have meals cooked for you, full time guide, 350" or better bull, drop camp, semi guided, etc... etc...

Tell us a little about what you would want from a hunt and we can help you better.

Just to give you an ammount to start from you can expect to pay $1500+ for a "do it yourself" hunt. It will go up from there as you add guides, cooks, etc...
Old 01-13-2005, 07:28 PM

I am talking about a fully guided hunt , meals, tents or cabin 1 on 1 or 2 on 1. As far as animal I would like to get a bull dosent have to be a trohpy but maybe in the 5X5 range...

As you can tell I don't know anything about elk hunting. I have never been out west.

I live in Md and love to hunt Whitetail deer and Wild Turkeys..

Thanks for any info
Old 01-14-2005, 04:30 AM
Typical Buck

It sounds like you are after the same type of hunt I have just booked and hoping to draw the tag for. I booked an outfitter in Wyoming for a 10 day horseback wilderness hunt. The cost for the outfitter was $4800. I am paying for a 1-1 guide which will cost an additional $200 per day. There are 2 draw tags in Wyoming. The non-resident Full Price Elk tag costs $493. The Special Elk tag costs $893. The difference between the two tags is the Special tag has a smaller pool size which means the odds of drawing should be much better than the regular draw. To book this outfitter it is required to put in for the Special draw. This does not include gratuities, airfare, taxidermy, and meat processing. All in all I think if I kill a nice bull it will cost about $8500-$10,000 for this hunt. I could save some money by not paying for the 1-1 guide but I have worked hard for the past 3 years in staying in excellent shape and will not be put with someone who is overweight and out of shape and can't keep up. In my research, I found other areas and other outfitters that would cost less but this is the type of hunt I want. There is a lot of information available on the internet. Use Google to start your search to find the type of hunt your are interested in, the name of the outfitter, and the location. Call them for information and references. Then CALL THE REFERENCES. Good Luck!!
Old 01-14-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have been with an outfitter in ID twice, in 2002 and again last year. 2002 my wife and I went, neither got a shot, we both saw elk, though my wife never had them in range, I had 3 bulls called into range, but never present a shot. This year I had one MONSTER bull called within 15 yards, no shot (hard to believe, but its THICK in some areas) and shot a 4x5 on that afternoon at 8 yards (in the wide open just at dusk, AWESOME experience.).

We spent lots of time checking outfitters, talking to them etc. Hunting shows like they hold in Harrisburg PA are a great place. We met our outfitter at a show in Springfield MA, and talked with him over a couple years, had one booked hunt fall apart at no fault of the outfitter, then booked with him for a 7 day archery hunt 2 years in advance.

Here's what I found:

- costs run anywhere from $3000 up to WAY lots of money. The more you pay the better chance you have at a big bull, the upper end hunts $10K+/person will put you on private ranches where you have a VERY good chance at a monster bull. We went with a lower, but not bottom dollar hunt, I believe he runs around $3800/7 day guided 2 on 1 right now.

- some states have point restrictions in some areas, some are either sex. In ID where we were the elk tag was for either sex and OTC. Talked to a Montana outfit which was draw only, and a CO outfit that was 4 pt or better. If you go with a draw area find out what happens to your deposit if you don't draw, refunded or rolled to next year?

- There will be other costs that are not included, what's included: room and board, food, guide, transportation during the hunt, field care of animal. What's NOT included: tags (can run up towards $1000), airfare, tips, car rental if you need one (some outfitters include airport pickup), butchering, taxidermy, getting your meat home.

Questions you need to ask:

- success rate, find out what it is FOR archery only (if that's what you're doing). Then find out what success means. Many times its a shot chance, if so, find out who determines a shot chance the guide or the hunter.

- If archery: how long has he outfitted archers? Do the guides bow hunt? Does he bowhunt? VERY different to call a bull inside 30-40 yds, its pretty easy to call them into 100 yards, heck even I did it the morning after I got a bugle.

- What's the hunt style: calling, stalking, stands. Stands are becoming more popular and some outfitters love to elk hunt from them (mine did) because of higher success with a stand over a wallow, food, trails, easier for the hunter to get a good shot, even footing, already range find the distances etc. With calling/stalking, you will probably shoot off your knees after QUICKLY setting up on uneven terrain and have to thread the arrow through brush. Stand hunting is more successfull, calling is absolutely a BLAST!! Nothign like a bugling bull screaming his head off at 30 yards trying to find YOU!!

- Do you hunt all day or come back in for lunch?

- What else can you hunt beside elk? I had a deer tag that was good for either sex, a bear or mtn lion. Had a great chance at a 150 class whitetail, but, well.... ESP on his part kept him alive, [&:]

- Get references BEYOND what he lists, get others, make sure they archery hunted RECENTLY get some that were unsuccessfull. why were they unsuccessfull, will they go back etc etc etc. Note he will NOT give you a name that wasn't happy, so ask LOTS of questions. I spent at least 30 minutes on the phone with several references.

- Find out how much of his business is repeat business. The more the better.

I liked being able to meet the outfitter face to face at the show. gives you a chance to get a feel for his honesty and nature. You will be spending time with them and their guides, this lets you see if he's a personality match for you.

--Bob