Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Need help from ELKampMaster. >

Need help from ELKampMaster.

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Need help from ELKampMaster.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Need help from ELKampMaster.

ELKampMaster, Please give me some help.
I bought my father a 338-win mag (Winchester Super Grade) for Christmas.
My problem is during my search for a 338-win mag, I found a 375-Remington Ultra mag. I want to buy the 375-R.U.M. but I do not know how to shoot big magnum rifles? I can handle the recoil of a 338-win mag just fine. I know there is a way for the average person to shoot the bigger guns without installing a muzzle brake?
How do you handle the recoil of large magnum rifles? I am 6' 1" 185-pounds.
Can you give me some pointers?

Thanks,

WK
Old 12-28-2004, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need help from ELKampMaster.

I know you asked EKM but I thought I'd throw in one little tid bit. The first thing I'd do is go buy the Limb-Saver butt pad. (Fer your rifle) I recently helped a friend get rid of his flinch and the pad was the biggest factor in that. Good luck.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll second the limb saver butt pad they are the best on the market! But as far a taming a .375 Ultra I not sure if anything but porting it will tame that beast. I think that is a great cartridge though, is your gun a Remington or another brand? I don't own anything bigger than my .300 RUM bought new last spring. But I too would love to own a .375 RUM, and a 338 RUM. Heck since I dreaming, why not own the .7mm RUM as well! In reality for a 7mm I would like to own a .7mm STW. Sorry I am no help with your question, good luck and keep us posted!
Old 12-28-2004, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest thing in taming recoil with our having a brake installed is having a stock that fits you properly.

By that I mean... one that allows you to hold your head straight with out having to push your head forward or rearward over the cheek piece, one that is of the proper length of pull, one that does not force you to cant your head to one side or the other to see through the scope. A good stock needs to have the proper drop and comb and heel, the proper cast and the proper pitch. If it does not even a cartridge like a 30-06 or .270 can hurt.

Here is some quick reading that may help you understand a little better.
http://stockfitting.virtualave.net/
Old 12-31-2004, 01:44 PM

sorry man i dont think he wants to help lol, but these guys took care of it
Old 01-02-2005, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I picked up the rifle on Friday, I shot it Sunday morninig. I really do not think this rifle kicks that bad? I was ready for a harder kick. I am going to use this rifle for all of my hunting in 2005. Lookout antelope, black bear, deer & elk. This will help me bond & become one with the rifle.
I will even hunt coyotes with it this winter.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wk,
They don't kick as bad as everyone implies,thats why when I shot that .338 Ultra I was supprised.
I have shot the 375 Ultra befor and,well put it this way the scope don't stay on the target after you pull the trigger.
Congrates with the new boomer,and I would also recomend the limb saver recoil pad.
BBJ