Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster) >

Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

Old 10-23-2003, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

I am looking at buying a BIG magnum. I am thinking about a 375-Remington Ultra mag, 416-Rigby, 416-Weatherby or 460-Weatherby?
I do not need this rifle but I want one in a bad way.
Of the rifles listed above I am leaning hardest on the 416-Rigby & 416-Weatherby? Would there be any advantage to one cartridge over the other? A friend of mine had a 416-Weatherby custom built. I am thinking of doing the same. Help me decide what cartridge to buy?
Old 10-23-2003, 10:31 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

And I thought you were a dedicated bowhunter. (grin)

Old 10-24-2003, 03:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

If you don' t really " need" this rifle and just want to own something that will be guaranteed to kick the ever loving dog snot out of you every time you get up the nerve to shoot it, consider the .458 Lott. There is a write up in this months American Rifleman about it and it is quite impressive. The author of the article insists that he will only fire it two more times in his life. Once to insure it was not knocked out of zero during travel, and once to take down the largest Brown Bear he can find.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:53 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Wolf:

Congratulations on the beginning of your new addition.

Forget the .460. The velocity is much too high to get any kind of penetration.

The .375 isn' t a big bore. The various .416s aren' t " true" big bores either.

If you will be handloading, get a .416 Rigby/Rem. There are only a few factory loads available, all full blown Africa type loads. Any of the Rem will cost you $80/box and the Rigby $110/box. Many manufacturers make 300 - 325 grain bullets that will turn your .416 into an outstanding elk gun.

If not, get a .458 Lott. You can choose from many Lott chamberings, or from dozens of lighter .458 loads.

Have Fun.
CE
Old 10-24-2003, 07:43 AM

this post doesn' t belong here,but just had to put in this remark!i thought i wanted a 300 wby mag[don' t know why since i probably will never shoot anything but a whitetail with it ]having never shot anything all my life bigger than a 30-06 and 31/2" 12ga turkey loads,this 300 has a recoil that will all but make you anticipate the kick.i shutter to think about the recoil of a .458 lott.[one of my family tree members designed the gun i guess,hehe.]
Old 10-24-2003, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Us Montana boys must be on the same page,just the other day I was thinking of starting the same post.
Wolf Killer I to wan' t a big bore in the worst way,bigger than my .450 marlin.
I shot a freind of mines .416 Rem. and it was so cool,right then I said I wan' t one.

I was looking at the .416 Rem or the .458 Lott(can also shoot .458 Win Mag) in the Ruger #1 Tropical (Priced Right),this is not going to be a African gun.I just wan' t to shoot gophers,coyotes and various other stuff.
I' m wating to hear some more replies.
Old 10-24-2003, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

BareBack Jack
I plan on useing the 416 for Prairie dogs & gophers. I feel I would need to move up to the 458-win mag or 458-Lott for coyotes. I have been told if you use premium bullets in the 416-Rigby & you wait for the perfect shot you can kill small coyotes? The bad news is, I would be so undergunned that I would have to let the big coyotes walk.

All kidding aside I just have an intrest in buying a large caliber rifle. I was hoping to get some feedback from ELKampMaster.
I would have posted this on the guns forum but I wanted to make sure ELKampMaster read the post.

ELKampMaster are you out there???
Old 10-24-2003, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

WolfKiller in all seriousnes(spell?) that is about all I would do with this gun,I' m sure I would pack it after elk and the occasinal deer,blackbear or home intruder outside in the garage.
I just wan' t to play with one,I shot that .416 Rem and it was love at first recoil,I found it a little harsh but easy enough to handle,I hit wat I was aming at anyway.

This gun and round was awesome!!!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Typical Buck

This is gettin kneee deeep now!!!

I bought a 338 win recently just because.
The elk must be growin big out west these days.
just to keep ahead of the coyotes and gophers!!!
Old 10-25-2003, 01:19 AM

Went hunting. Came back. Left on business trip. Out of the loop. 100am got home. Checked mail. Will respond, but not now. Bed.

EKM

Quick Reply: Question for big bore magnum shooters. (this means you ELKampMaster)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.