Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Allegany County New York

Old 12-23-2004, 07:28 AM

Default Allegany County New York

I am brand new to this message board. I have read many of the posts and can tell that the contributors to this board are very dedicated, knowledgeable and hardcore.
I have a question that I'm hoping some of you New York hunters can help me out with. I am currently considering buying a parcel of land in Alleganey County. It is about 100+/- acres that are 2/3 wooded and 1/3 open meadow. The property looks very appealing but I have no experience hunting in that region of New york state. Are there many (any?) mature bucks in this county? Is the county overhunted? I know from the stats that this county produces a high number of deer but also there is quite a large "army" of hunters who pound the woods there shooting many, many 1-1/2 year old bucks. Does anybody know of any QDM efforts being looked at for this region of NY (similar to what PA is doing)? Any replies would be helpful........Thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 04:03 PM

Default RE: Allegany County New York

I hunt in the Fillmore, Ny area. Lots of posted ground. We have noticed a decline in the deer herd over the last 4-6 years. Still some nice bucks though. Nice country!

I also hunt North central Pa. Have done so for all my 34 years of hunting life. NO DEER!!!

I curently live in Montana. I have been returning every year to hunt in the above mentioned areas.

I am not sure what pa.'s Game managment plan is for sure but I can see that it includes only a very marginal deer herd.