Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Allegany County New York >

Allegany County New York

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Allegany County New York

Old 12-23-2004, 07:24 AM

Default Allegany County New York

I am brand new to this message board. I have read many of the posts and can tell that the contributors to this board are very dedicated, knowledgeable and hardcore.
I have a question that I'm hoping some of you New York hunters can help me out with. I am currently considering buying a parcel of land in Alleganey County. It is about 100+/- acres that are 2/3 wooded and 1/3 open meadow. The property looks very appealing but I have no experience hunting in that region of New york state. Are there many (any?) mature bucks in this county? Is the county overhunted? I know from the stats that this county produces a high number of deer but also there is quite a large "army" of hunters who pound the woods there shooting many, many 1-1/2 year old bucks. Does anybody know of any QDM efforts being looked at for this region of NY (similar to what PA is doing)? Any replies would be helpful........Thanks
Old 12-23-2004, 07:35 AM

Default RE: Allegany County New York

ORIGINAL: Mid-Vermont

I have a question that I'm hoping some of you New York hunters can help me out with. I am currently considering buying a parcel of land in Alleganey County. It is about 100+/- acres that are 2/3 wooded and 1/3 open meadow. The property looks very appealing but I have no experience hunting in that region of New york state.
I have hunted Allegany county for 17 years and my family has been there over 40.

Are there many (any?) mature bucks in this county?
No.

Is the county overhunted?
YES.

I know from the stats that this county produces a high number of deer but also there is quite a large "army" of hunters who pound the woods there shooting many, many 1-1/2 year old bucks.
Correct.........and that will not change any time soon.

Does anybody know of any QDM efforts being looked at for this region of NY (similar to what PA is doing)? Any replies would be helpful........Thanks
Nope..........private landowners can always do whatever they want......or at least try to anyways but all the guys I know that own land say the deer they let walk just get shot by someone else.

How much is the land per acre if you don't mind telling me?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:39 AM

Allegany can be a great place to hunt or it can be the pits.

There are plenty of deer around there...........in the right spots.

The areas with state land are hit mercilessly........and if your land is anywhere the state lands it will get trampled too.

There are nice places all over though that are far enough from the state lands that the orange army stays away mostly.

I know a guy that owns 13 acres there and he and his family take 4-5 deer EVERY year from the 3 treestands they have.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:56 AM

My brother took this buck in Allegany county in 99 I think.

Best buck we have ever seen come out of the area we hunt.........by far.

His picture is still up on the wall of the check station if you are ever there.

Old 12-23-2004, 08:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

That is an interesting rack for sure. Lots of palmation.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:13 AM

Hey Atlas----nice deer there.

Just curious, any idea what it would score?

I'm not too into the scoring thing myself but just as a reference I was wondering.

Cool mount too......is that black rope at the bases? Never thought of that or seen it before.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the information atlasman. The asking price is $966/acre. It was selectively logged about 4 years ago so there is no real timber value. The entire parcel has been surveyed and subdivided into 3 smaller parcels but if I make an offer on the land, it will be for the whole piece. It is surrounded by other privately held property. The seller retains the oil and mineral rights. Can you tell me, is this amount high for that area? If so, by a lot? About how much has undeveloped land appreciated in value in the last 10 years? Beautiful country down there.......
Old 12-23-2004, 06:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Flipout

Hey Atlas----nice deer there.

Just curious, any idea what it would score?

I'm not too into the scoring thing myself but just as a reference I was wondering.

Cool mount too......is that black rope at the bases? Never thought of that or seen it before.

You're asking the wrong guy man.

That is black ropes at the bases..........looks nice.
Old 12-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Atlas, there are check stations in NY?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: MDManiac

Atlas, there are check stations in NY?

NO!!!!

Quick Reply: Allegany County New York

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.