Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Did I get charged by a bear? >

Did I get charged by a bear?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Did I get charged by a bear?

Old 10-18-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Did I get charged by a bear?

in the box blind i noticed grass moving, then i heard limbs breaking sounding like small trees. I thought it was a huge buck so i waited a while and then rattled. no response, so i waited 30 mins and did it again, still nothing. get off the stand close to dark and starting walking out on the other side of the brush where i heard the noise. All of a sudden twigs were breaking and it sounded like something was running right toward me. literally 5 ft. I shined wear the noise was coming from but the brush was so thick i couldnt see anything. it suddenly stopped when i shined the light on it and took a few steps and then didnt move. Do yall think it was a bluff charge from a black bear considering I didnt hear any grunting or anything?
Old 10-18-2004, 08:23 PM

Default RE: Did I get charged by a bear?

Could have been anything, if it was a bear maybe he thought you were a buck since you rattled. I've had plenty of game animals very close, then vanish without a trace.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:43 PM

Could have been a bear but I doubt very much that he charged or bluffed one. I have surprised a couple of bears pretty close while tramping through the bush. They have always taken off quciker than anything else I have encountered. One sniff of human and they are gone.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:50 PM

I've had a few bears get curious and then take off when they realize it was a human. Word of caution here, if you ever have one take off and stop, then decide to come back in, get ready and pull your pistol, he's coming all the way in.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:40 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry I let my mother-in-law out to go pee
Old 10-24-2004, 11:51 AM

lmfao, Rich the only bad part of that???

Havent you heard that in later years they ALL look just like their mothers?
[:'(]
RA
Old 10-26-2004, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

if it was a bluff charge by a bear you probably would have heard some kind of sound from the bear expressing it's agitation like growling, teeth-popping etc. So I doubt that it was. Light confuses animals so it was probably something else that got confused by your light and was running in random directions. I've had all kinds of animals run toward me at night. They don't know what to do when you shine a light at them.