Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 How long for a Cow moose Call? >

How long for a Cow moose Call?

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

How long for a Cow moose Call?

Old 10-14-2004, 04:47 PM

Default How long for a Cow moose Call?

I'm going hunting and have a bull tag.How long do i hold a call for a Cow moose in rut?How longis it and what does it sound like?

Dave
Old 10-14-2004, 09:36 PM

Default RE: How long for a Cow moose Call?

It can last up to 10 seconds. As for what it sounds like, well I'll let someone else try to type that one.......
Old 10-14-2004, 10:29 PM

I usually like to to do a series of calls...I start with a 4 second followed by 8 second call followed by a 6 second call.

To be honest cow calls probably will be getting less effective at this stage in the rut(which is ALMOST completely done by now). However, I can say that 1 year I called in 3 bulls in the middle of October so it is NOT impossible but that was under perfect conditions(NO WIND for several days) and in a area with HIGH population.

Your best hope is to know EXACTLY where a bull is and set-up close to him and let out a few soft calls...

As for the sound...the best way I can describe it is to roll your tongue back so it touchs roof of your mouth and sound out the letter RRRRRR...

Then once you have practiced that try and start your call at a low pitch then increase volume and pitch then drop it off at the end...

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 10-15-2004, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

For locating or drawing a bull I too use a 3 set call. Duration is 4-10 secs, however when locating I will use 2 longs(8-10) and 1 short (4-6). If I know moose are close I do short(4), med(6) and short(4). If I have a visual or know he is close I will stick to placing a 6-8sec single call to where I want the moose to come/go, his response or reaction dictates what I do from their(more cow calls, bull grunts &/or raking). I end all my cow call's with a short soft grunt..oowah(sound). The best way I can describe the sound of my cow calls is RRRRRrrrrrrrraaaaah..oowah(grunt). To get a mental picture of what a cow moose sounds like think of a beef cow call, but instead of the M sound you put R sound and pitch drop into the end aaah sound (nasally). The technique described by Corey is what will produce a nasal sound and how I do it as well. However some find pinching the nose when calling helps to get a bit of nasal into the call as well.
Old 10-15-2004, 01:42 PM

Great thanks for your help all .I will let you know when we get back how we did.

Dave
Old 10-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Think of being kick in the sac and the noise you'd make rolling on the ground???............nothing like that.....heheheh

Ever hear a beef cow?........but more like a moan......low and long