Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 First Elk hunt - leave tomorrow >

First Elk hunt - leave tomorrow

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

First Elk hunt - leave tomorrow

Old 10-13-2004, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Elk hunt - leave tomorrow

I'm off on my first elk hunt tomorrow. 2nd season opens Saturday here in CO, but I took a couple extra days off work to set up camp and relax. We have a crew of four, all experienced hunters, but none of us have taken an Elk before. We're all looking forward to learning from each other and just seeing what happens. I've spent all summer hiking around in the mountains, so I should be able to handle the physical demands without a problem. The spot that we've picked out is a ridge that leads to a small mountain. The ridge is at about 10,000', and the mountain goes up to about 10,500' (I can't remember exactly). The ridge runs east/west, so I figure we have an option of the north slope and the south slope depending on the conditions. I have a hootchie mama call, and will use it occassionaly to try and locate a bull. Other than that I don't really have a plan of attack. If anyone has any bits of advice on increasing my odds, I'd love to hear it. Tomorrow can't come soon enough!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:34 PM

Default RE: First Elk hunt - leave tomorrow

I like long ridges with long fingers. As of a week ago the bulls were still bugeling in Montana, they may still be but I havent been out. I wish you all luck on your adventure, elk hunting is simply awsome.
Old 10-13-2004, 11:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have a safe hunt, and good luck!!
Old 10-14-2004, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The elk were still bugling last Sat., opening of 1st combined, so it is possible that you may hear some bugles on Sat., so be out on that ridge before sunrise and listen and they may tell you where they are. No the area well enough to know where there are meadows, and get where you can glass them early in the day and late. After a few rifle shots are fired in the area, expect the elk to go quiet again.
Good Luck!