Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Where to Hunt Colorado?

Old 10-03-2004, 09:01 AM

Default Where to Hunt Colorado?

I have already learned a lot from just reading the post on this Forum. You Guys have a great site here.

Just wondering if there are any hunters, who are familiar with the state of Colorado who would be willing to share some info? We will be hunting 1st combined Rifle Hunt(Elk and Bear). When you puchase a OVER THE COUNTER LICENSE (Elk, Bear) is it good for the whole state? Has anyone ever hunted the San Juan Mountains near Delores? How is the harvest looking this year? I hear the Bear activity is pretty good this year. Hows the weather, Game activity, Acorn harvest? I know these are a lot of Questions, but believe me we need all the help we can get. We will be driving out (30 hrs straght through one way). There will be three in our hunting party, we are all Safe/Ethical Hunters and look forward to spending some time in the beautiful state of Colorado.

Thanks,
Alabama Native
Old 10-04-2004, 03:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Where to Hunt Colorado?

Long Time,

Go here for more information about the areas in the San Juan Mountains. http://wildlife.state.co.us/hunt/index.asp

Generally speaking, you can still buy OTC tags. An OTC tag is good for most (exceptions are private land and restricted areas) public land in Colorado.

Go here for road information. http://www.cotrip.org/

Click on road conditions, then look for the highways you will be driving on.

Go here for general weather conditions. http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphi.../rbigmain.html
If you hunt near Dolores, you can always use the weather section of yahoo.com to figure out what the short term weather will be like.

Good luck to you.
Old 10-04-2004, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

We hunted there and were unsuccessful this muzzleloading season. Talked with a game warden and a meat packer that said harvest is down, which should be good for you because there are plenty of elk in that area. Do you have any general areas you are planning to hunt? Taylor Mesa, Stoner Mesa and anywhere up the West Dolores River and Fish creek would be some places to check out. Other than that, elk are where you find them. There will also be plenty of other hunters, so plan on hiking away from a road if you want to see some elk. By then, the rut will be over, so the bulls will be off by themselves in steep country and usually in timber if you hunt high. There are some good areas in the oak brush, but I never hunt that low, so don't know much about those kinds of areas. Good luck.
Old 10-05-2004, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

By then, the rut will be over, so the bulls will be off by themselves in steep country and usually in timber if you hunt high
I disagree with that one, we used to hunt the 2nd combined season, and often heard bulls bugle and they were still with cows, and now the family hunts first season and often locate elk by listening for bugles early in the mornings. I don't know that area at all, but get out early mornings, before sunrise, get high on ridges, before sunrise, and then listen, I won't be surpirsed at all if you can locate elk by hearing bugles, then try to interecept the elk as they move up for the day.
Good Luck!