Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 some mulie hints/tips/etc? >

some mulie hints/tips/etc?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

some mulie hints/tips/etc?

Old 09-30-2004, 12:23 AM
Fork Horn

Default some mulie hints/tips/etc?

I usually spend the majority of my time either whitetail or bear hunting. This year I am really trying to find myself a nice mule buck, but the only mule buck Ihave ever seen was a 2x2 which is also the only mule buck i have ever shot (close range, 10m with a 12 gauage).
Anyways I am looking for some tips etc for finding the buggers. Some people say they think Whites are harder to hunt but I have to disagree, I never see any mule bucks!

I started hunting a clearcut tonight that has a nice little ground blind built in it. Coming into the blind area i ran into a nice black bear, shot twice but missed both times (first time ive shot at anything this season, jitters I guess) regardless of that I know there are big mulies in this area but I have yet to see any. When should I be watching this clear cut? there is both food and water for them in the cut, as well as dense forest surrounding it.

Any tips? Suggestions? anything would be great.

Thanks
Old 09-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: some mulie hints/tips/etc?

Any help? please?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

First off, don't limit yourself to one clear cut. Usually a lot of glassing from high vantage points is where to begin looking for mule deer. You have to find them, don't wait for them to come to you or you'll be waiting a long time, unless you have a known area that they use on a regular basis! This time of year, in mountainous areas, they will still be high, near tree line high. If big bucks have an area that has all they need to survive, plus it has very little human pressure, they won't venture far, until the rut kicks them into gear to look for love.
Good Luck. A truly big mule deer is one of the hardest trophies to come by these days!
Old 09-30-2004, 07:11 PM

cover as much ground as possible. I get as high as i can and start glassing. I move from ridge to ridge. In the afternoon I move real slow through there bedding areass hoping to jump one and get a shot
Old 09-30-2004, 09:00 PM

If you find a buck you want, but you can't get a good stalk, WAIT. Do not push him. Watch and set up the next day. They are creatures of habit