Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 My 2004 Bull, sit down for this story...... >

My 2004 Bull, sit down for this story......

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

My 2004 Bull, sit down for this story......

Old 09-20-2004, 02:09 PM

Default My 2004 Bull, sit down for this story......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...watha/Mail.jpg

First of all i was shooting my bow on Sunday before the season. I had my bow drawn back and the thing slipped out of my hand, came crashing back and nailed me in the hand. Split me for some stitches and busted my knuckle. However i was bound and determined to get that elk. Archery elk opened up here August 23rd. I was hunting on my farmland bordering a provincial park so the name of the game was to catch the elk when they come out to feed on the crop. However the only way to hunt this one field without spooking the elk in the morning is to sleep over in the stand. I did just that, packed up my gear and was in my stand by 5pm on that Sunday. The night wasn't too bad other than a throbbing hand and no pain killers. Had a little shower come over me about 3 am but didn't last long. The field slowly begin to light up and i constantly scanned for animals in the field but nothing. To my left i was blinded a bit by this overhanging branch full of leaves so that area only got looked over every ten minutes or so. About 5:30 I bent down to look around that branch and there was a bull standing there about 100 yards away. Not sure where he came from but i really didn't ponder it too much. He was to my left so i stuck the hoochie mama as far out to my right as i could then gave one single mew. He heard that sweet voice and headed right over my way. He walked into about 30 yards then stopped and turned somewhat broadside, so i drew and let one fly. Arrow clubbed him pretty good and he took off 100 yards back into the field then stopped and hunched up. He would take a step then stop for 5 minutes. then another few steps. It took him close to 45 minutes to make it off the field back into this river flat. I visually marked where he went into the willows and i went home and got my hunting buds. We went out for breakfast and gave him a good 2 hours to bed and die. We headed back there and picked up the blood trail which lasted 200 yards from where i had seen the bull enter. The trail led us to the river where we found the bull conveniently floating in the middle. We aren't really sure if he just got along the edge and dropped in the river or if he wanted to cross but never had the strength and drowned. It was a pretty small river but it still called for the dive team. The dive team consisted of me stripped down to my boxers and a winch cable in my hand. Swam out to the elk end got the cable around him, then we were able to winch him up the bank. The Doc told me not to get the stitches wet but i never had much of a choice. Didn't need to pick any leeches off me so i was pretty thrilled about the whole experience. The arrow had gone in on an angle, taken out the liver, through the gut, and exited well um right by his manhood, or bullhood in this case. With the hide/head/legs off and guts out he dressed only 260lbs which leads me to believe he was a spike bull. But what a rack for a spiker. He has alot of character to him and was truley unique. I was second guessing myself after the shot if it was a caribou. Anyways there he is, i got wet, cold, stithces, broken hand, but i got him so all was forgotten. Went to the hospital later that day to get my cast put on. who ever said elk hunting was easy... lol
Old 09-20-2004, 02:49 PM

Default RE: My 2004 Bull, sit down for this story......

that is a neat rack! Man! are you going to get it mounted? If I shot one with a rack like that I would!
here it is...