Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dogs on Moose...!

Old 08-30-2004, 11:18 PM

Default RE: Dogs on Moose...!

I HAVE SEEN THESE WALKERS IN PERSON. THEO IS MY FRIEND, AND LET ME TELL YOU, THESE THINGS DONT HAVE FEAR! THEY HAVE CORNERED WOLVES ON A COUPLE OF OCCASIONS! BUT WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT, THESE WALKERS, EVEN HIS POINTER, ARE AMAZING DOGS FOR HUNTING!

BRILLIANT DOGS.... ITS A SHAME THE OWNER COULDNT BE! HAHAHHA

JOKIN AROUND BUDDY!
Old 08-30-2004, 11:40 PM

MOOSECOCK Fawn
What kind of handle is that???
Old 08-31-2004, 08:41 PM
Typical Buck

So you have a "pointer" and some "trailers". Do you have a retriever who will pick up your moose and bring it back to the truck for you?

Robin
Old 09-02-2004, 11:46 AM

LOL

I cannot believe this guy is even trying to make this sound serious?

Dogs will not even get close to Moose....it will just swim across lake or swamp and that will be the end of that chase. Once those hounds get their balls in that ICE cold water they will be running all the way home.

You ever here of trying to CALL moose Theo....works like a charm and best of all it is MORE exciting and FUN!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 09:38 PM

if you guys want to be smart asses thats perfectly fine. i am not here to make enemies, nor am i her to be a smart ass. I simply stated a thought that I have heard of...and considered it. I have a few videos actually where hunters dog moose. Anyways, like I said, I am here to perhaps share some advise and take in advise...i am open minded, I LOVE to HUNT, and I thought joining this would be somewhat interesting. I know there are plenty cool people here and I respect that. For those of you who play the "tough ****", you only make yourselves look dumb.

CHEERS!
Old 09-03-2004, 07:03 AM

Sorry if you take our comments personal but you posted this expecting us to comment. We responded to your post with our experiences and opinions about how moose would react to hounds. I think because you didn`t like what we said ( there must be a reason why no one runs dogs for moose in Ontario) you took it personal. Run your dogs, let us know how you make out and if you shoot lots of moose and don`t loose any dogs then post it and we`ll all be the wiser. Then next time someone posts about dogs and moose we`ll respond differently. I only related what I know and thats that moose run extremely long distances when pushed and won`t circle. Trying to get ahead of dogs in southern Ontario is not a problem but in 15B could be a real B****.
Old 09-03-2004, 04:10 PM

i have seen dogs that run moose , the dogs get close to the moose about 200 yards behind moose on the run ... i however would not use one cause moose do run in a straight line , the dog that was chasing moose was just that a moose dog trained just for that pourose to run moose ... the dog and the moose got by the standers and we seen the dog. where we hunt 3 hours walk to where the other guys were hunting .... i think you would end up hunting for the dog if it got by you
Old 09-03-2004, 08:31 PM

Turk_Man, you seem like a really cool guy with a response like that. Nice to hear the bachground of a comment. There is nothing wrong with honest critique, but if you look back, some comments from others were intended otherwise.

CHEERS!
Old 09-04-2004, 07:40 AM

Sorry Theo no harm intended...

But using dogs to hunt Moose (IMHO) would be counter-productive.

Have you ever packed a Moose out of the bush?? It is a big job and the further you are away from your vehicle just adds to the work.

Last year I called Moose into a beaver pond on the side of a bush trail. Was able to get my truck withing 100 yards of quartered Moose.

Like I siad before...Calling is the way to go for me and most other hunters I know.

LEt us know how the dogs work out...GOOD LUCK!!!