Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Dogs on Moose...!

Old 08-27-2004, 02:13 PM

Default Dogs on Moose...!

I thought I would share that I have officially decided I will be running my walkers on moose this year. I hunt Northern Ontario (15B). I can't wait! I leave on October 14 for 1 maybe 2 weeks....depending. I am even considering bringing up Pepper my English Pointer to point me out some grouse and partridge. Have been using Cow moose urine to see if the walkers will run it...and WOW do they ever dog that stuff! I CAN'T WAIT!

CHEERS!
Old 08-27-2004, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Dogs on Moose...!

Interesting. Around here using dogs to moose hunt would land you a night with the local drunk in the county jail. Good luck to you.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may be in for some aweful long runs. Not sure if a moose would circle if he doesn't have to. Good luck any way.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt 15b also I don't think its a very good area to run dogs. By that I mean the bush is too big for the dogs to funnel moose though and I am not sure if a moose will circle. The home range of a moose is a lot bigger than a deer. Let us know how it goes. There must be a reason that no one hunts moose with dogs.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:56 PM

yeah i think your plan sounds a little sketchy. What good are the dogs going to do??
Old 08-27-2004, 10:09 PM

When you get back you might rename your hounds "chasers" because if my memory serves me right I remember hearing about another guy who tried using Walkers and after they started a moose they didn`t catch the dogs again for 2 days. Don`t recall them ever shooting a moose either. When pressured moose will just up and move to the next township.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

Another thought. Your Walkers might end up as lunch for the local wolves. I've seen quite a few in that WMU last year.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:11 PM

The other are right. Moose when pressured will not stop for many miles. Almost always straight downwind too. I think your hounds will become wolf food before you have a chance to find them along ways from where they began to run.

I thought running moose with dogs was illegal in Ontario.

Moose
Old 08-29-2004, 03:10 PM

Last deer season in area 49 dogs from a neighbouring camp picked up on a cow & calf. They ran almost due east for about three miles into and through our area and were still going the last we heard them. gg.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:42 AM

my dogs have encountered wolves many times...i will throw the pics on here once i scan them....you can all see what my walkers do to timberwolves. Anyways, along side from the dog stuff, perhapps you guys are right, but I dont think it will hurt to try them out even for a day or two. cheers!

Quick Reply: Dogs on Moose...!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.