Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Lion caught on trailcam in Nebraska >

Lion caught on trailcam in Nebraska

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Lion caught on trailcam in Nebraska

Old 08-26-2004, 08:46 AM

Default Lion caught on trailcam in Nebraska

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_np=...&u_sid=1185412

This is a link to an artical about a lion caught on trailcam in the Niobrara River valley in Keya Paha county.There have been numerous sitings this year in Nebraska,with one cat near Leigh, in Northeast Nebraska, being sited on the outskirts of town in a park.Also, a farmer near there, upon going outside for chores in the morning found a cat laying in his manure spreader(two wheel cart with flail drum at the rear for spreading manure).He went back in the house! Last year two young males(yearlings,probably littermates) were captured on the Papio creek in the city limits of Omaha.The Game and Parks practically needs to have photo proof or a carcus to confirm sightings,which I dont understand.They are definitely spreading south and east as they get pushed out of the mountain states.Most are young males looking for territory.There is even some evidence that 10 pairs were released on the northern border of Nebraska back in the late 70's.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lion caught on trailcam in Nebraska

So if u seen a mt.lion would u shoot it?
Old 08-26-2004, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I`d never shoot anything unless It was threatening my life and I mean ive tried scaring it, walking away and everything else and shooting is a last resort or if I was on a legal hunt for it and planned to eat it I hope they spread Id love to have some down here in fla.
Old 08-26-2004, 11:33 AM

if i had a legal tag i'd definitly take it.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:21 PM

ORIGINAL: RustyOlRanger4x4
I hope they spread Id love to have some down here in fla.
Take a look here.
http://www.naturealmanac.com/cougars/cougar_range.html

I think you'll find that there are indeed Cougars, Lions, Puma's, or whatever else you want to call them in Florida.
Old 08-26-2004, 09:16 PM
Typical Buck

It depends what side of the fence you are on. If you are a rancher then you'd be protecting your livelihood but I wouldn't just shoot one because it was there. Alot of people enjoy hunting them but I've never wanted to. Sure don't ever want to meet one while hunting unexpectedly.
Old 08-28-2004, 11:18 PM

well, they need to change that to a confirmed in the eastern side of south dakota. Because one was killed in the the town Yankton, SD. and sent up to South Dakota State University. to have tests done because it was shot at like 7:00 A.m. Also there have been many segments on the news about what to do if you see one, like if you have on a coat or something to make yourself look super huge and and try to scare it off.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen mountain lions twice in missouri one in Smithville, MO another in Benton county, MO. I reported the one in smithville to the conservation department but because I didnt have it on film they didnt even bother making a report they said they would just make a note of it, The one in Benton county I didnt even bother reporting because once again I had no camera and the conservation department already has confirmed sightings in that area so there was no point in reporting it, I'm sure they would just tell me no film no confirmation. I did tell my friends father inlaw who is a Benton county sheriffs deputy he told me that yes there are mountain lion around there just not very many.
Old 08-29-2004, 10:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

There has actually been confirmed lion sightings in nearly every state in the US. This is nothing new to biologists.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

?